Should I be concerned? ETA : Day five- JACKPOT!!! Pics added

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by remuda1, Sep 23, 2011.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I have been waiting for my BCM hens to begin laying. All three are this >< close. This morning, one of them was freaking out, doing the pacing thing and jumping to the roost and back down, to the roost and back down. So, I scooped her up and put her in a nest box. She immediately calmed down, scratched around and then sat for about 45 minutes to an hour. She then jumped off the nest and started screaming the egg song..... So I jumped up and felt a rush of victory at the thought of seeing my first chocolate brown BCM egg! I threw open the lid to the nest boxes, and there it was.......................................... NOTHING!! I couldn't believe it [​IMG] . Please tell me I don't need to be worried about eggbound, internal laying, and all of those other awful things??? Is this normal behavior?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't worry, be patient. She's just practicing for the 'big show'.

3. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    Sounds like mine just before they started to lay.took them a few days to figure it all out. Found eggs under the roost. Soft eggs,busted eggs, you name it. But after a little while things settled down. Just make sure they have access to the nest and they'll work it out. Much easier and quicker than pottie training a child.

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Quote:X2

5. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

X3 - it's just part of the warm-up.

6. remuda1

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Thank you all. I have 3 Cuckoo Marans that started laying about a month ago. While they all "practiced" a bit, none of them actually started the egg song before they actually layed the egg. Had me a little spooked [​IMG] . Maybe it will be tomorrow [​IMG]

7. remuda1

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Day two of the same behavior. Hopefully, tomorrow will be more fruitful. I'm so anxious to see an egg from these BCMS. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. remuda1

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Third day. She didn't exhibit the egg laying behavior at all yesterday. Today, she was frantic, panting, pacing, jumping from roost to floor and back and face, wattles and comb were bright red. She finally got up in the nest box and made a nest in the hay that almost completely concealed her from sight. Sat there for about 45 minutes, panting. Then her color lightened up and she hopped down, went outside and ate and drank. I checked the nest box...... nada [​IMG] .

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I just went outside to hang up a sweatshirt on the line (very windy today) and my BR was singing the egg song like no other. :excite I went over with a few leftovers and nada. I hear ha.. it seems a watched nest box does not lay.

10. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:I had a couple that were doing that last week...but they are laying now. I know it gets frustrating. I bet you will have eggs soon! Probably when you dont check for any for a day...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by