Should I be Concerned with being Egg Bound?

Bostonbea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 25, 2012
Greensboro, NC
I discovered the secret egg stash of one of my sneaky girls yesterday. Thirteen eggs total! Before she could lay yesterday I confined her to her own little run with her own makeshift nesting box. She immediately went in, fluffed around and nothing. Shes did that several more times yesterday and has continued today. I know she was ready to lay yesterday to no avail and she hasn't laid today. Should I be concerned with egg binding?

Thanks All!

I discovered the secret egg stash of one of my sneaky girls yesterday. Thirteen eggs total! Before she could lay yesterday I confined her to her own little run with her own makeshift nesting box. She immediately went in, fluffed around and nothing. Shes did that several more times yesterday and has continued today. I know she was ready to lay yesterday to no avail and she hasn't laid today. Should I be concerned with egg binding?

Thanks All!
I think shes broody!

Really? She's not remaining on the nest just going in and out. Fluffing and such. She's ceased the activity this afternoon and is roosting.

Never had a broody so not sure what to look for. :confused:

Really? She's not remaining on the nest just going in and out. Fluffing and such. She's ceased the activity this afternoon and is roosting.

Never had a broody so not sure what to look for. :confused:
The fluffing her feathers and pacing in and out sounds like a broody!

No, not broody...Broodies stay in the nest and fluff up...... and hiss and growl at you, lol.

She's just uncertain about the new environment, not quite sure about the new nest, that's why she's going in and out of the nest.

Not sure if you should be concerened about egg binding or not...but confining her away from the flock is stressful.
I would confine the whole flock to the coop where the nests are for a couple days, at least until mid afternoon, to re-home them to the nests.

Yeah...she had a pretty epic nest going there. Unfortunately it was in my neighbors yard. In my run it would be more stressful for the whole flock to be confined. I free range and my run is not a big enough space for them. I let her out both afternoons after 3:00 to be with her sisters and the plan was to let her out immediately after laying. That hasn't happened. I may put her closest buddy in with her but I don't want to change her perfect laying behavior.

Back
Top Bottom