should I be concerned?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jenerva, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Jenerva

Jenerva Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    I am being emotionally tortured by one of our chicken's behaviors lately. To worry or not to worry, that is the question. We have 4 backyard chickens: 3 RIR and 1 Golden Comet. The Golden, Noodle, is 3rd in age (apprx. 12 weeks) of the 4 and apparently 4th in pecking order. She is last out in the morning and last to eat or drink, however I have never witnessed any actual pecking on her by the others. She is slower than the others, keeps her head down into her chest at all times unless picked up (then she'll stretch it out, and return to her more partridge looking posture) Her legs are less bright yellow and strong as the others, but shows no signs of weaving when she walks or tremors, just slow. She spends her daytime hours standing with neck in, dozing. Occasionally she'll eat/drink. She is aware of the other 3 and will follow them if they change sides of the coop or run, then she goes back to standing and dozing. Her feathers, eyes, vent all look fine. But her behavior and energy is sooo different than the others. How worried should I be?
    Thoughts?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am sorry to say that it doesn't sound good. She may be suffering from wry neck which will grow worse as time goes on. However if caught early enough, it can be almost cured. I have a female quail who is 1 1/2 years old with nuerological issues, (tremors, tight neck muscles and I have been treating her with vitamin therapy and it has worked wonders on her. She was also a runt and picked on a lot as a baby).

So I suggest you read thru this thread entirely.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97121&p=2

And also suggest you search thru the other posts on wry neck. She may not have this issue, however from your description she has something that may be a vitamin or mineral deficiency. So it can't hurt to give it a try. These folks recommend high dosages of Vitamin E with Selenium. (helps the E get absorbed). I used a multi vitamin mix that is specially formulated for chickens and game birds which is high in all vitamins.

Good luck with your baby. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Jenerva

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    thank you so much. I will try the vitamins.

4. emrldgrn1

emrldgrn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Vass, NC
    I have never personally used it but I have also read here that alot of people will give their chickens diluted apple cider vinegar and water when they aren't acting like they feel very well. Seems to be pretty popular and the folks who use it say it works great for alot of things. Cant hurt. [​IMG] . hope you figure it out soon. I hate the anxiety of a sick or injured pet. [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Apple Cider Vinegar is a wonderful addition to the diet, put in the water. I have used it on many occasions as it will bring down the acid in the blood, increases appitites, is good for healthy bacteria in the intestinal tract and does wonders for the plumage. However it will not treat disease or issues such as wry neck or other nuerological issues as I have tried to do so with no luck. ACV is great for maintenance, not for curing anything. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. Jenerva

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    would it still be wry neck if she's not crooked, just pulled in?

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    This can be the start of wry neck. Although there are other issues that could cause the pulling in of the neck. That is why I suggested you try the vitamins as it couldn't hurt really. Only do her good. She should not be pulling or "head pressing" with her neck. And wry neck can start out this way. If she does in fact have wry neck, she will not pull thru and will pass.

So I would try what ever you can to treat this, and vitamins are a great place to start. You could try taking her to a vet and see what they say about it.

She may have something else entirely. I wish you all the luck with your baby. [​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    After reading over your inital post, she could have just about anything. I still recommend the vitamins. At her age, she is probably too young for worms. She obviously doesn't feel good. I am at a loss for any suggestions.

Do your best to take care of her and if you can find a vet, it woudn't hurt to take her in. [​IMG]

9. Jenerva

Jun 27, 2011
    Detroit
    I totally appreciate it! Now to watch my husband lay his own egg when he sees I dropped $20 on vitamins for a chicken [​IMG] I mixed the poly-visol and E in a small dish with some of their food and separated her to let her eat it alone. She didn't love it and was totally stressed being away from the others. I put her back in and added what she didn't finish to their feeder (can't hurt the others anyways) she was much happier to eat it along side them. Hope it helps--thanks again [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by