should I be getting eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sheila3935, Sep 13, 2010.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have a khaki campbell duck and a crested runner drake They are about 5 to 6 months old. They just recently started mating. Should I be getting eggs? or is she hiding them that I am not finding. I know that alot of times the campbells dont go broody so I though I might put them in the incubator. I am new to ducks so I dont know alot about them. Please any advise appreciated

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't know anything about your setup, so it is possible she may be hiding them. My runners lay around 5 or 6 in the morning most of the time. During that time they are in their house or fenced porch, so all the eggs are there (and sometimes hidden).

Depending on how often the drake is mating with her, that could slow down her egg production. The recommended ratio of males to females that I have read is one drake to a minimum of three ducks. There is a risk of injury to her, especially if the drake is (how do I say this) rough on her.

All of my runners were laying by the time they were four months old.

By the way, what are you feeding them?

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Yes, the drake-hen ratio should be 1 drake for 3-9 hens. She may be hiding her eggs outside. But nothing happens until she starts to sit on them. Quite honest it is late in the season for having duckling. They need a month to incubate, which brings it to mid October. Then they need about 3 months to get their feathers, which bring it to mid January. This means you have to provide a warm space for them for the entire time. They wont be able to moving around much, and therefore not developing their muscles and legs in a proper way. This wont harm them, just delay them. I always tell people to look 4 months ahead and tell me what the weather will be then. Make your decision accordingly. There is always spring just around the corner. As cute it may be to have ducklings now, it may not be that practical.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ok guess I need a couple more girls. Its only him and her. They are in their house til around 7 in the morning before I let them out. I had been feeding them meat bird crumbles as we cant get duck food around here guess I need to start layer. She has been eating some of the chickens layer feed. Can i give her oyster shells free choice too. Just havent seen any eggs at all. So far have only seen mate twice but that doesnt mean anything Im not out there 24/7 she seems to instigate head bobbing etc.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Layer feed usually contains oyster shell. This is not so good for the boy. Try to find a developer or grower feed with around 16-17% protein and unmedicated. Use that and offer oyster shell on the side. He wont eat the oyster shell, but she will. He may try, but will give up fast. She may need a little bit before she starts to lay since they just started mating. It sometimes takes 2 weeks before she start laying. Also molting stops here from doing it too. I would say give it time and see. BTW It does not hurt to add electrolytes and vitamins into their water every two weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by