Should I be giving my chicks grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fushalilly, Mar 24, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Should I be feeding them grit along with their chick starter, or is the grit already in the chick starter...? They are 2 weeks old.

2. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    There is plenty of grit in the chick starter; it is a complete food. However, if you are giving anything else such as cornmeal or egg yolk, etc, you need to supply extra grit.

Enjoy!

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    At about 2 weeks of age, I put quartz "playbox sand" in the bottom of the brooder with some pine shavings on top. The chicks dig down & eat some and this serves as my chicks first grit.

The grit you buy for chickens is "granite grit." Granite is an igneous rock with the primary mineral (and the hardest mineral & what defines it as a granite) being "quartz." Quartz is what gives granite its resistant properties and makes it a good grit for chickens.

Qurtz sand is small enough to serve as grit for chicks.

4. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Just so you know, playsand can have some pretty nasty stuff in it like asbestiform tremolite and/or crystalline silica. This stuff is carcinogenic, and can be bad if inhaled, so I'm guessing it's not great for little chicks. If you're concerned (which I know not everyone will be), just read the label and make sure this stuff isn't in it. [​IMG]

5. Daniart

Daniart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2007
    Minnesota
    The owner at our supply store suggested I had super fine grit to my starter feed to help w/ our baby chicks pasting up. I've been adding it & haven't had any more problems. They range from 1 - 3 wks old.

6. SirPuck

SirPuck New Egg

Mar 19, 2008
    What is super fine grit? Where do you get it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by