should I be giving my chicks vitamins?

Tigerdragon1313

Hatching
Feb 4, 2016
Should I be giving my 3-4 week old silver laced wyandotte vitimins? They're inside the house in the tub because of weather and age. Just our first time and want to give them what they need. Eating non medicated chick feed from feed store. Bedding is wood shavings. Have 6. I I think is a roo unsure of the rest.

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Vitamins won't hurt, but IMO they do not need them unless they are showing signs of illness, lethargy etc.
If they are vibrant and active I would leave them be. The chick starter should have all the nutrients, vitamins and minerals needed.

Just My Opinion
smile.png

I give my flock and any young birds vitamin supplements in their water every couple of weeks or so - not suggesting its necessary, but doesn't do any harm.

CT

I give my chicks a very good Probotic. it helps supply them with good bacteria keeping them healthy and guarding against intestional issues. it keeps their stool and gut healthy and helps fight off bad bacteria that can cause illnesses. The Probotic is EXCELLENT. I use on chicks through adulthood. You can buy it online, at amazon, and small bottles from time to time at the feed store. it's called PROBIOS. small amount is added daily to drinking water. I've used this product for about 5 years now and swear by it.I also give once a month a vitamin supplement. Before I started giving the vitamins, my birds had got a deficiency by not giving supplements to vitamins. So now I always try to give it once a month. no particular brand I'm partial too, just a general poultry multivitamin that's put into the drinking water. I usually get mine from the feed store.Make sure it says safe for chicks.I used to think the food i gave them had all the vitamins they needed but that wasn't so and they had issues with a vitamin defiency. When older, I like to feed organic feed. They love it and I get better health and weight gain.Hope this helps a little. Definitely look into the Probios.it really is a excellent product. Best wishes! :)

Last edited:
I always keep Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand. Use it in chick water every other day for the first couple of weeks. In addition to that, I give them a plug of sod very soon after they figure out the chick feed, and are eating very well. I start them on fermented feed in the first week. Both the FF and the sod help them to develop a healthy gut flora. No medicated feed here, ever!

Thanks all. I'm kinda clueless. I just thought one of my chucks had a syst in its neck and it's just where they store the food they ate..but Google had all these things caused by lack of vitamins so I just wanted to see what everyone else does. Figured it might be best to just do vitimins if it will prevent these things and cause nothing bad in return.

@realsis I was searching for the Probios on Amazon and could only see granular tubs and treats for Horses and Dogs. Could you send a link or a picture of what it looks like. I am interested in this for my new Chicks that will be here at the end of the month. Thank,

Hi I just got a new bottle from pure poultry . com. once on their site type Probios in the search options bar.Then go to the bottom of the page where you will see a link, click the link, then you can buy it from that page. You will love this product!! I will send you a pic but ALL the packaging is alike and that's confusing because there. is probios for horses,probios for cats, probios for cattle,ECT. you want to make sure it's Probios for poultry.easiest way to do that is to buy the Probios from a poultry site like https//:www.purepoultry.com.or any poultry store that sells it. I will attach the picture now.Hope this helps! I had to get my new jar for my new chicks that are coming! it helps the chicks a lot and they won't get pasty butt anymore! I give it to chicks and adults alike.One jar lasts a good long time because you use so little.You will love it!! :)

Last edited:
Thank you I have a jar on its way. My baby chicks will arrive at the end of the month and this will be a big help. Thanks again

Me again @realsis I received my Probios today in the mail. I was going to buy my chick feed on Monday (still have two weeks till the chicks arrive). I have one more question for you, do you buy or need to buy the medicated chick feed with the probios giving them the probotic they need. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom