Should I be happy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smkchick, Oct 1, 2011.

1. smkchick

smkchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    My Black Star, Gladys, is approximately 12 weeks old (I'm guessing - she was a rescue). I haven't been expecting any "laying" behavior yet, but last week she put up this whole squawking fit which we figured was her just looking for me. Then today she spent a lot of time sitting in the nesting box. She's NEVER done that before. It's not in the coop because she hates being locked up. I put it in her favorite spot under a table next to the house so she would stay dry when it rains. She has been roosting on the bar on top, but never getting comfy in the box itself.

I've never raised chickens before and all I know is what I've read and heard here. Any ideas? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Has she layed an egg yet? Maybe she's going broody [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:x2, but I didn't think that most Black Stars went broody(?).

4. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    She's never laid an egg (yet). I don't know her age, was kind of figuring she was about 12 weeks old, but I could be off. Her comb isn't red yet, but this is totally new behavior for her.

I'm probably just reading into things. Can't wait for my first egg. Ever. Gladys is my first chicken. [​IMG]

5. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    is she doing the "hen squat" when you walk up to her and put your hand over her back she drops down and sticks her wings out?

6. smkchick

Sep 3, 2011
    Lawnguyland
    oooo. I don't know. I'll see if she does that tomorrow.

And thanks for not laughing...[​IMG]

7. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    The next day after my first hen squat, I got an egg! The silly bird laid it in the poop catcher under the roosts, so I am sure she had be checking it out for awhile. I took it out yesterday...that just leave the floor and the nest box!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by