Should I be irritated triple the charge for shipping the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vetgirl00us, May 14, 2010.

1. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I won an auction on ebay where the seller had 6+ eggs listed at a starting bid of $5.99. Well, I bid on two of the auctions for some of their eggs. I sent a message asking what combined shipping would be and the seller replied that the 2nd shipping would be 1/2 the original. Seller charges a flat rate of $12.00 for priority mail. Sooo....that said, I won both auctions meaning I'm due 12 eggs plus whatever extras he wants to send me plus $17.00 shipping. So I paid almost $30 for 12 bantam eggs. I get them today - got 15 eggs total wrapped in papertowels none broken in a small usps priority box- the 6 x 6 x 6 size or something very near that with the eggs packed in. On the label I see he paid $5.00 total for shipping. I'm a little irritated that he charged me so much to ship those eggs. I know we all want to make a lil money off our auctions and I won fair and square $5.99 each auction for 6 eggs and I know that box and paper towels did not cost $17 shipping AND handling. Before I leave feedback I just wondered if I should say anything to the seller. I purchased from the seller because they live in the same state as me and I was hoping the eggs would get thrown around less. Seller has upper 90's feedback near 100%. I'm shocked that 15 eggs made it unbroken in such a small box with only paper towels for packing. I didn't even bother candling. Just set them out for 8 hours and then put them big side up in the turner.

2. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I'd be irritated. send him an email before you give him a review. tell him your a little miffed it cost $5 to ship and he charged you $17. see what he says. If he doesn't have a good reason or fix the problem mention the actual shipping cost and charged cost in your review. There are some sellers on Ebay that plan on making most of their money on their shipping charge. Id also include a self review of how you were as a buyer. as far as I'm concerned if they buyer won the big and sent a prompt payment they should receive a positive review. a lot of sellers wont give a review to a buyer until they recieve a positive one from them first. That really irritates me.

3. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    It is actually illegal to charge more for shipping than it actually costs. This is why you often see it listed as shipping and handling. If it was not listed as shipping and handling then you can push the issue if you want to jump through the hoops it takes to get the law enforced. It actually requires an investigation in which the seller must justify what they charge. Keep in mind that they can claim all actually charges they pay such as postage, cost of labels, printer ink, the printer itself and even the cost of the computer. they can include the cost of the use of their vehicle, gasoline and maintenance of that vehicle. They can also include any and all packing materials. and finally they can include all time required to wrap all those eggs (which they did adequately) folding the box and even applying the tape. they also have time spent posting the ad in the first place, they actually can even include any E-bay fees in "Handeling" since it is required to offer the product in the first place. in short pretty much anything it cost them that made it possible for you to even buy the eggs can be included in handling. so your USPS label is not going to get you very far in placing a claim. that is actually very little of the cost of shipping your eggs.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  4. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I don't think ebay much cares if sellers overcharge on "handling". You did agree to their shipping and handling charges when you placed your bid. But, in your shoes, I would contact the seller and express my disappointment in the way the eggs were packed for shipping. I would base my feedback on the seller's response. You are able to rate their shipping charges, and several other aspects of the transaction too, if memory serves. FTR, if the seller used a priority box, the box was free. Those were some mighty spendy paper towels.

5. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Yes, I paid immediately upon auction end. They sent eggs Wednesday. I think I won the auction fri night or sat morning. I didn't mind the delay but the shipping??? Dang, that was just a bit much. They made an extra $12.00 off me for eggs I guess and he put all my eggs into that teeniny box! I've had 6 serama eggs shipped to me in a large box over 12 x 12 x 12 because she made sure they were lovingly and very well packed. That I would have understood.

6. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I would not suggest actually placing a claim. Let the seller know you aren't happy about the inflated "handling" cost. Give them a change to fix the error. If they don't try to fix it or explain it put it in your review so others know they add more than they should to their handeling charge.

7. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I just had a situation where I saw some eggs on ebay and asked the seller if I won the auction could I do a local pick-up since he was just about 30 minutes away. He told me there would be a $25 local pick-up fee in addition to the auction costs.

8. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I'm not going to file a claim. I sent a message asking why didn't he just ask for more $$$ for the eggs rather than overcharge on shipping and scrimp on the box and packing materials that way everyone would be happy. Or he could print his own labels. I'd be less likely to be angry if it was an automatic printed label that doesn't have the price of actual shipping on it. Having sold some expensive items on ebay recently, I had no idea how much Ebay makes on your sale-so you have to ask more for the item if you want to make a profit at all. I understand that part, I just don't like being had. I felt like it wasn't honest. This seller ships enough eggs that I know they had an idea that it would NOT cost that much to ship to me - 2 hours away. I couldn't drive up there although I 'd like to one day if I continue to buy eggs from that person. Like I said, I just felt it was dishonest to charge me that much.

9. vetgirl00us

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Wow! [​IMG] I've never heard of a local pick up fee! Makes you wonder why they don't want you at their home. LOl, who knows? I never asked about going to their home but he/she has ALOT of OEGB variations that arent common around my town so I'd love to buy some birds for them but I even told the seller I wasn't far away. Local pickup fee. Hrrrmphh! I'm glad my eggs aren't broken and hopefully they will hatch. In all, I will pay less for a hatched chick than I would for a bird- if they hatch that is. I had ordered some D'uccles from TN (I'm in GA) and I would've had a 60% hatch rate on shipped eggs if I hadn't killed them by uppiing the humidity too fast at the last minute. I got 3 out of those eggs. The next batch not so good - 12 out of 12 golden lakenvelders were bad. None broken in shipping but all had bad air cells and weren't packed that great. I won the auction for .99 cents plus the shipping so I felt like they just chucked the eggs in and didn't care. I paid $18 plus shipping for 6, count em 6, serama eggs and they are all developing at this point. Paid less for another set of serama eggs and they sent me twice as many so I got 12 but only half candled fertile. Oh woes, shipping the eggs blues!!!!

Anyway, I don't want to make the seller mad but I told them what I thought about it anyway- in a nice way.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Feedback is your friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by