Should I be looking for something wrong?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by yinzerchick, Sep 16, 2012.

1. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Okay, I've have 21 chickens age, 18 months old, 4 chickens age, 7 months old, and I have 28 chickens age, 6 months old. 54 hens tota, and I have a 7 month old jersey giant rooster, and a 6 month old cuckoo maran rooster. They all free range during the day together, are put into the run together in the evenings. There are 2 coops in the run, and they have seperated themselves 22 hens in one with 1 rooster, and 32 hens in the other with 1 rooster. They all seem healthy, and as happy as chickens could be. (Some of the older hens feathers are looking a little ragged, but they still seem okay) Layer pellets are kept in the coop feeders, there's waterers everywhere, really, everywhere. At least 6 inside the coops and run, and several buckets are kept outside and in the barn for the other animals. And, they get a breakfast treat of either oatmeal and eggs, or rice made with goat milk, at least once a week. (Sometimes it's ramin noodles) and always left over veggies from the kitchen.

My question...How many eggs would you expect from these 54 hens? I guess knowing the breeds would help, so here goes, the 1 1/2 year olds are 4 Gold LacedWandottes, 4 RIR, 4 Barred Rock, 4 EE, 5 Red Sex Link. The 7 month olds are Jersey Giants, and the 6 month olds are, 7 cuckoo marans, 3 BR, 3 EE, 10 RSL, 5 Buff Orpingtons. Quite a mix, huh?

Anyway, I average from about 34-44 eggs a day, and I don't know if this is a good average or not. I'm not entirely sure all the 6 month olds are laying yet...but I think most of them are.

So, again, just wondering...How many eggs would you expect from this bunch? I don't want to expect too much, but I'm wondering if I need to be watching more carefully for signs of illness.

All replies will be appreciated! Thanks![​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm not familiar with those breeds' egg laying performance, but I can tell you one thing: you are getting way more eggs than I did with nearly the same number of hens. The most I got was 42 one day. Average was 25-35 per day and I had commercial layers, kept free range, looked after properly, healthy and happy.

3. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    Well okay then! Thank you very much! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by