Should I be (more) worried? Please advise....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by navasima, Sep 23, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Monday I got my first egg from my Japanese hen Yoko. Nothing for 2 days. Is this normal? Is there a point at which I should get concerned that she's having trouble or should my worry be based strictly on any abnormal appearance or behavior?

Please let me know if I should let my bloodpressure drop....... Thanks!

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:Ok take a breath and relax. Typical normal behavior from all new layers,not knowing the egg laying tendencies of a Japanese on how frequent they lay as adults. But newbies will lay one then not another 2-3-4-5 days. So yes and yes to the second part of question #2. I like to compare the new egglaying process in terms as if you start a new job in a field in which you have never worked,just takes a while to get it figured out to get up and running. Look at it from the hens point of view.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Allow your BP to drop. Most bantams do not lay with the regularity of the production breeds.

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks y'all for responding.

Okay - taking deep breaths.....[​IMG] Can't tell I'm a newbie - huh?

5. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No problem, newB, we've all been there once! Your girl just needs a little more time to kick her system into high gear. Totally normal. Sometimes the first eggs are soft, then stop, then 2 weeks later normal laying begins. Every girl's a bit different! [​IMG]

Welcome Aboard!! [​IMG]

6. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I should probably clarify - this hen is not new to laying, just new to me. [​IMG] She's estimated to be about 18 months old, but I find the advice given applicable nonetheless!

Thanks again - it's nice to have somewhere to go with these worries.......

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    It takes time for them to adjust if there in a new place. No worries.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by