Should i be seeing or hearing anything?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krista74, Sep 6, 2014.

1. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    So..... I got my dates a little mixed up! As it turns out, 21 days from when I set my eggs under Broody is this Monday, so I'm technically at the end of day 19 today.

Everyone seems to think I should be hearing chirping noises but I'm not hearing anything.

Is this just because Broody is sitting right on top of the eggs and muffling any noise?

I don't really want to interfere with her at this point, as we are so close to due date. Removing eggs from the nest just so I can 'listen to them' seems a bit cruel and selfish.

I guess I'm just paranoid. I had a couple of eggs explode over the whole batch on Day 14 and I'm worried none will hatch. They did get wiped clean as soon as I noticed, but still I'm concerned. [​IMG]

Thoughts?

- Krista
    (AKA: Anxious first time Broody Momma)

2. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I would take a deep breath and try to relax. Let her take care of it! You may not hear chirping for another day or more... eggs have their own timing and will hatch when they are ready. Bothering the broody probably is not going to help at this point and it won't hurry the eggs along. The last few days are hard... I just had some eggs hatch a day or so ago that I was very nervous about so I was pretty useless for a few days... it was a little ridiculous! So I feel for you... distract yourself with whatever you can and hopefully it will only be a couple more days! I have friends that have tons of broodies and they have eggs go bad and break and it doesn't seem to affect the rest of their eggs.

3. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    OK, thank you. I will try and hold myself together! I guess when the two bad eggs exploded I was just convinced that no others could have survived it.

Despite gently cleaning the remaining eggs, the bad smell still lingers in the nest (which is hardly surprising.) It is a constant reminder that makes me worry that the others have all gone off too. There really is no way of telling at this point, and like I said, I don't want to touch her or the eggs.

It is my first time with chickens and my first possible batch of chicks, and personally I could cope fine with no chicks hatching. My heart is with my Broody though, who has been so dedicated and has tried so hard. If just one were to survive I would be so happy for her.

Do you know if cooler weather affects hatching dates at all? The reason I ask is that it has been quite cold here with frost on the ground. Broody is in a hay-lined nest in the coop so should be ok, but does Winter affect hatching days at all? The first day of spring was a couple of days ago.

Thank you again for your time.

- Krista

4. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Oh my gosh!

Day 20 and I have a little chickie!

'His' name is Peepers. I love 'him' already!

Peepers is a miracle chickie, who hatched despite fairly bad odds.

- Krista

5. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    I am so happy to hear you got a chick!! I bet you will have more tomorrow! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. krista74

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Oh, I hope so!

My initial thoughts were that I would be grateful for just one of the eggs hatching - for Broody Hen, not for me.

But now that we have Peepers, I am crossing my fingers for just one more, so he/she has a little friend.

I wonder how far apart eggs can hatch? Peepers was a day early so I guess another 24-48 hours as long as Momma stays on the nest?

- Krista

7. adam73

adam73 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Macintosh fl.
    I have had them hatch a week apart & still be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by