Should I be worried about my sort of bloated goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by guitari609, May 17, 2010.

1. guitari609

guitari609 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2008
    Taylors, SC
    I have a one year old doe, Camille, a Nigerian Dwarf goat. Over the last couple of days she has suddenly swelled in her sides. She is approximately 90 days pregnant, or at least I believe she is. My other doe is as well, but doesn't look nearly as filled out as this. Her feces looks fine, she's still urinating, she is able to burp, but she is very bloated in appearance, and acts sort of odd, she keeps shifting from one rear foot to the other and walking kind of stiff-legged. Nothing that I know of has changed in her diet, she has not raided the grain bin, or had access to especially succulent forage that she hasn't had access to before in the relatively small yard they are in. She doesn't seem to be acting unusual other than the shifting feet and stiff legged walk, she doesn't seem to be in an pain, doesn't act uncomfortable. I gave her probably a little more than a quarter cup of vegetable oil, and a maybe a tablespoon at the most of baking soda, sodium bicarbonate. Should I be worried? Is this just normal due to pregnancy? I'm trying to attach a picture. I know she doesn't look horribly bloated in the pics, but they don't do her justice....she's pretty darn round compared to the other doe....

I give up trying to include the image...

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Try posting on BackyardHerds (sister forum, link at very very bottom of this page), the experienced goat people mostly hang out *there*.

Best of luck,

Pat

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Maybe shes carrying more kids?

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Is she truly bloated or just full because of eating or babies? If she's truly bloated (high up on the left side) then you should most definitely be worried. Bloat can take an animal down quick! Especially with babies in there...it'll be rough on her heart and lungs if she's bloated....all of her organs will be pressing on her heart and lungs.

5. guitari609

Aug 11, 2008
    Taylors, SC
    Whether shes just full of kids or bloating is kind of what I'm not sure of, but she definitely is full and a bit high on the left side, assuming you mean looking at her from the front. I've had other goats before look like this, and even worse, but they weren't pregnant, plus at the time I really didn't know better, so I didn't think much about it. Maybe it is a combination of relatively mild bloat and being full of kids is why she looks as big as she does. I've heard that being pregnant alone can cause bloat. For the time being I'm keeping my eyes on her and giving her a goat massage every so often to help her burp some of the gas out, but even that doesn't seem to produce tons of gas, and she doesn't feel very tight right there, she just looks it.

And Pat, I'm going to post this on backyardherds too, but the reason I didn't start there is that there isn't very much traffic there, there's only been a couple of posts today total, and I wasn't much for waiting a couple of days for a response. I don't really understand why there has to be two separate forums anyhow, most people that have chickens have other sorts of livestock as well, and this site is already established with plenty of traffic.

Jake

6. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:No, you always talk about the animal's left or right side. If she's bloated, her left side will look high and tight. What does it feel like it you push on it? Soft and gassy or tight and solid like her rumen is full (of food)?

7. guitari609

Aug 11, 2008
    Taylors, SC
    Right, but the left side is relative...you mean the left side if you are looking at her from the front right? It does seem high and tight, but when you push on it, it is kind of soft, not very tight. Like I can massage it around and it gives in and moves around, not tight or hardish at all....well, minimally tight, like I can feel the stomach resisting somewhat, but not like it is full of food...

8. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:The goat's left side is always her left side. [​IMG] If you're looking at her, it will be on your right, but it's still *her* left. That's like me asking you which hand is your left when I'm standing in front of you. [​IMG] See what I mean?

I dont' know what to tell you. I'd call a vet if you're unsure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by