Should I be worried about my speckled Sussex? **PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happymom99, Feb 25, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello. We bought 3 chicks today that are supposed to be girls, but I know from these forums how that can go sometimes....

The chicks are 2 weeks and 3 days old and now that we are home I have noticed that the speckled Sussex has a larger or more pronounced comb than the other two, more of a tail and is a little bit bigger than the other two. The other two are a Cochin and a buff Orpington. I am so disappointed that this SS could be a roo. Are these things I mentioned indicators or should I not be comparing since they are different breeds?

The thought of raising this chick only to have to get rid if it makes me want to just get rid if it now and spare my 5-year-old the heartache. Thank you for any input.

CJ

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    It could be. Why don't you post some pictures?

3. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Ok, I will. Is there anything specific that I shod take pic of other than tha comb? Would the wings or tail or anything else be helpful?

4. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    A head shot, wing and feet shpt will do quite nice, and them as a group for cuteness factors :)

5. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Make sure to get some side profile shots, a close up of the head, and a shot looking down upon the body(neck/shoulders to tail).

6. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I had 3 straight run SS. 2 roosted in the barn one night and got eaten by coons. The one that was smarter, I was SURE was a boy b/c it's comb was as big as my Leghorn and Andalusian cockerels' at 6 weeks!!! But Sparkles laid her first egg a few days ago. :) She's just a BIG girl and had a larger red comb early on. It didn't keep up with the Mediterranean boys, of course. Her comb is actually quite small now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  7. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I hope these pictures are helpful. I welcome (and am thankful for) any thoughts you have on this. I know it is really a waiting game but if this baby is already leaning towards boy I'd like to know.

Thank you!!!

8. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Please let me know if you need some other pictures.

9. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    [​IMG]
    Just had to add this picture of *her* sweet face. :)

10. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Much too early to say it's a girl but I'm not seeing anything that says boy at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by