Should I be worried? Blood

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
This morning I saw bright red blood beside one of my hens eggs..she only started laying a few weeks ago. But...then I picked up another egg, a girl that has been laying since Oct..and there was bright red blood on her egg. Coincidence that they both did this at the same time?
Hoping nothing is going on, red blood usually means something going on close to the outside of the vent doesn't it?
Thanks!

I'd give them both a visual vent check to see if you can tell who is bleeding and to make sure that neither has a prolapse. I think that only one is bleeding and the blood is just transferring somehow.

Keep us posted.

Thank you, now I need to know what that would look like?
idunno.gif

Thanks again...

Ok, I looked it up on here, and then had my hubby accompany me out to the coop. All of the girls are all nice and quiet, so thought this would be a good time to check. Had the flashlight ready, first girl I picked up that I had seen blood on the egg, looked good, but did have blood on her lower feathers. The vent looked fine..and so did all of the other four.
Those poor little ladies wondered what in the heck I was doing to them when they were trying to get their sleep.
ep.gif
They were still all talking about it when we left.

I will watch the first girl..she has been a laying maniac! An egg almost every day..she lays green eggs...she looks like a silver wyondotte with green legs. Sure is a good layer, but maybe she needs to slow down. I told my husband that I was worried about just that the other day, that she is laying too much. Haven't heard too many people complain about that right?? Her eggs are of med. size, so not real huge.
Thank goodness she looks ok, she is one of my first that I hatched out this spring..I love that bird!!

Back
Top Bottom