Should I be worried yet?? ***UPDATE - It Died***

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
Today is day 21 on my eggs that I am hatching. I had one of my 5 eggs that had a pip in it yesterday morning when I woke up, it got a little bit bigger through out the day, but not much. Today it is not any bigger than it was when I went to bed last night. I have had a hard time keeping my humidity above 60% it has been ranging anywhere from 55%-64% the last 24 hours. Should I be worried?? What should I do??

UPDATE: I candled it and didn't see any movement, so I carefully removed a little bit from the top side where the air sac is. I didn't see any movement or hear any noise, so I opened it up further. It was dead. It hadn't even gotten it's beak through the lining, it looks like it had pushed enough against the side of the egg to pip it, but not break the lining. It must have suffocated. The lining was a little bit tough. I am worried now, that with the lower humidity that the others won't be able to get through also. What do I do???? I am so sad!! I have had 2 terrible hatches in a row.

Last edited:
well you could try and open one egg and see if anything is alive, or give it a few more days, cuz due dates for people are not always accurate either.

Steff, sometimes that happens. Don't open it. Sometimes the pipping takes longer than 24 hours. If you must, candle it. The veins could still be attached, the navel might not be absorbed. Patience. This is truly the hardest part of hatching. I want to recommend keeping yourself busy and not staring!!!!!!!!!!!! Easier said than done.

Hang in there and
fl.gif

Quote:
Yes, and they aren't meant to hatch. I had 2, down to 1 and it is definitely special needs
hmm.png
that I helped after too long of a pip. It probably wasn't meant to hatch
sad.png
Sorry for your loss

Krista

Back
Top Bottom