Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pekins4Life, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Pekins4Life

Pekins4Life New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    South Africa
    My pekin duck is eating much less and is much less active. Should I be worried?

2. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    some more details would be helpful...what's his/her habitat? Is it a drake or female? If a female does she lay eggs? What's the approx age? Do you have a flock or just one duck? Still drinking? Swimming? Grooming? What are you feeding? Have you changed feed?

3. Pekins4Life

Pekins4Life New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    South Africa
    He lives in a large chaged area with another pekin and five chickens. There is a small pond for them in this chaged area. During the day I try to bring the ducks out too swim on my khoi ponds that are much larger than the pond in their chage. The ducks are about 2-3 months old (not sure they were a few weeks old when we got them). I'm unsure of the sex. He is still drinking. He does not really swim he only floats on the water (he used to dive and flutter a lot). He isn't grooming much, but except for a few dirty spots on his back he is clean. I feed them normal chicken feed. I also give them fruit tree leaves (plums,grapes,"moerby") and they eat earthworms, small worms in the khoi pond and spiders.I haven't changed anything in their feed.

Update:
    Sadly my duck -Donald- has passed away.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. mich9510

mich9510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I'm so sorry to hear that. (((Hugs)))

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So very sorry do you have any idea what happened?

Do they have access to grit, tiny small pebbles or sand for which to grind their feed and treats they eat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by