Should i be worried

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beginnerchick08, Jan 11, 2009.

1. beginnerchick08

beginnerchick08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Alabama
    I want to build a chicken coop but i have a well. I was wondering if when it rains the chicken poop can sink into the ground and contaminate the water? The well doesn't have an open top its completely underground but i wanted to know if the poop could leak into the well. If you have any idea it would be great to hear. Thanks!

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It is highly unlikely for you chickens to cause any problem. Your well is probably quite deep and the earth acts as a filter removing any contamination.

3. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    No more than dog poop or anything else around that poops in the area. I wouldn't build your coop right beside your well, I'd pick a spot downhill of it.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    It wont effect your well. I have a well too, and have never had any problems at all. But I wouldnt build my coop on top of my well. Other than that you will be fine. [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Partly it depends how deep your well and how intact your well casing. If it is an older (or just shoddy) dug well, with no or imperfect casing, then there may indeed be an issue.

Most places that have zoning, require livestock to be kept some setback distance from wells (here, it's 60 ft) for exactly this reason. Bacteria or nitrates get into your well, they can mess up OTHER peoples' wells in the same aquifer too.

So, having chickens cooped, or free-ranged, in the general vague vicinity of a good intact well, sure. Penning them right close by the well, or on top of it, especially if it's a dug well or has 'issues'... probably not smart, not for you NOR your neighbors.

Have fun,

Pat

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check your local laws. there is usually a minimum required distance from any well.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a well too, for the first time in my life. I grew up in the city and then moved to the country 6 years ago. I asked a lot of questions since I've never had a well before and was a little nervous. They said not to worry about anything...nothing we do on the surface will sink far enough into the soil to affect the water.

Our well is on the right side of our house, and the chicken coop will be on the left side...not because of the well, just because we want the coop near the garage and our side door.

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    You will have no problem what so ever, my dad inlaws, raises chickens for ever and the only water he has is from the well and he never had any problem, plus in the old days water came only from wells, and they had tons of chickens, yet they were healthier than us.

Omran.

9. beginnerchick08

beginnerchick08 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Alabama
    Thank yall so much. It never occurred to me that there would be a law to how far it has to be. I'll have to look into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by