Should I be worried....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Humlet, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Humlet

Humlet In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    So we finally finished our duck pen. Ducks seem to love it. Only problem is they are constantly in the water. I know their ducks but I fear they won't go in if they get cold. Should I force them in at night and close them in? The whole pen is completely closed in from predators. 20180413_201059.jpg

DuckyLovin2 and Ursuline Chick like this.
  2. Jamie Molihan

Jamie Molihan Songster

Apr 13, 2018
    Cleveland
    That is such a cool house! I am sorry, I don’t know a think about ducks, I just wanted to tell you how amazing I thought you duck House is.

3. My ducks are in the water from the moment I let them out, until it's dark. I wouldn't worry about them being cold, as long as predators aren't an issue they will be fine.
    But if you would feel more comfortable with them inside, then by all means go for it! It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Are they completely covered in feathers or still fuzzy?

CayugaJana and The Phantom like this.
  4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    From reading, a lot of duck owners have to put their ducks to bed or else they don't go in.
    Do you have a night vision camera?
    I am not sure what your predators are there, but your fencing looks bigger than what is normally suggested for predator proofing a run.

5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Also, do you have a daytime pic? I just want to see how you put your pond in a standing run like that!

6. After giving your picture some more thought, Soon2BChixMom is right, your fencing has pretty big holes. I think you should chase them in, otherwise something could grab your babies and drag them through it. I don't think the cold is an issue, but I'd worry about something killing them.

DuckyLovin2 and CayugaJana like this.
  7. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    I wouldn’t worry about them getting too cold. They will go in if they are cold. But for me, I put mine up at night because I don’t like finding eggs at the bottom of the pool.

DuckyLovin2 and Soon2BChixMom like this.
  8. Humlet

Humlet In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    They are mostly featured. I have the heat lamp on in the house. I just checked, they laying in the house now. It's 46 out today. The pen is two feet off the ground. The ducks can't fit through the holes. Pond is supported by cinder blocks and 2x4s. 20180413_195421.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Humlet

Humlet In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2018
    New Jersey
    Feathered not featured...smh

HuskerHens18 and CayugaJana like this.
  10. CayugaJana

CayugaJana Free Ranging

Sep 2, 2017
    It looks like you have a great set up for your ducks! As others have mentioned, I would add hardware cloth. Raccoons can reach through those holes and rip the ducks heads right off.:( That’s one of the main predators in our area. Do you have any guard dogs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: