Should I Be Worried?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Punk-Rock_Chicken, May 17, 2009.

1. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    I just recently built a run for my chickens. Prior to that they were pretty much confined to a large cage and allowed to free range in the yard for about an hour every evening. Now I let them out in the run every morning (6am) and put them up every evening (8pm). Since they've had the run I have noticed that they have been eating significantly less feed. I used to have to fill their feeder(12 lb) every few days. But now I haven't had to fill it once since they've been in the run everyday. For like a little over a week. They still have about 4 lbs. in it now, Is this normal, or should I be worried? They have eaten all the grass that was growing in the run, now it is mostly dirt and grass roots. But I wouldn't think that that would fill them up THAT much. The run is 7'x8' with 6 chicken and a duck.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Enjoy it while you can. There won't be much left soon enough.

3. Punk-Rock_Chicken

Punk-Rock_Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    High Springs, Florida
    Whats that...Grass? It's already gone.

4. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    My little flock finds a surprising amount to eat on what looks like barren ground. They do eat a lot less feed now, too. You might keep checking to make sure they don't drop any weight, though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by