Should I be worried??????!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MEchickenfarmer33, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    So today I noticed one of my black star hens had slight purple coloring on the tips of her crop. Is this something to be worried about or is it normal??????????? Thanks

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Do you mean on her comb?

3. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I am going to assume you meant her comb. I have seen changes in coloring of my girls combs based on laying status, temperature and general health status. I would just watch her for now. If she is confined, eating, drinking, energetic and walking with her tail up, all will be well. I tend to panic at the slightest difference in appearance or actions. I'm learning to be patient and really 'look' for general changes. Helps in figuring out what might be wrong and how to treat. If she doesn't have any other problems and your other hens are acting fine, it probably isn't anything to worry about.

4. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    yeah i meant crown [​IMG] my chicks are about to hatch today and i am so tired from all the information ive learned [​IMG] thanks for all the help. I did inspect her and she looks healthy, no bugs or anything. the weather did just change here from bright and sunny to rainy and overcast. thanks

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have a leghorn hen that will get bluish at the tip of her crown, I almost worried about it but then it went away. Seems to come and go...idk why

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by