should i be worried

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tasha82, Aug 19, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    hi,my 23/27 (we got them 6 weeks ago and the breeder said they were between 17 and 21weeks)week old light sussex hasnt laid yet,someone toldme this is very unusual,shes fin in herself eating pooing etc,is actually the top chicken around here,eating layers pellets and mash,is it something i should be worried about??Xx

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I don't know how early Sussex start to lay, but I know with a lot of heritage breeds, it's not unusual for them to lay late. I've even heard of hens that didn't lay for 8 months or more.

3. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:over the last week,she(well we actually thought it was a he as she has big tail feathers only a couple tho.but the farmer checked her and said shes a girl but see what i mean she looks very butch)has been following one of our already layers who we got at the sametime as her,around alot,and keeps going into the nesting boxes on our veg patch(dont ask haha our speckled hen willnot lay any but my veg box)digging about sitting shes been doing this alot throughout the day,just very new to chickens and dont want her getting egg bound or anything,if thats actually what i mean.x

4. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    She sounds like she's getting ready to lay, all right. So long as she acts normal otherwise and doesn't seem sick, I wouldn't worry.

5. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thats what i was thinking just its been just over a week and nothing since she started acting like this,where as the other 2 was only a couple of days,shes also become very vocal,i actually thought she was mute as never heard her b4.just dont want her getting poorly,these chickens are turning me soft haha,xx

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not especially worry. When they start to lay is somewhat breed and strain dependent, but there can be a huge difference in individuals. You are only talking about one. The averages don't mean a lot with one chicken.

If I have ten pullets, I usually get my first egg around 19 to 20 weeks. That means one out of ten is laying. Usually, by 23 to 24 weeks, around half are laying but it can vary. I've had some groups where it was a little later before I got half. Usually all are laying around 27 to 28 weeks, but I have had a few that took a lot longer before they all were laying.

Sounds like you may have gotten one that is a late starter. It sounds like she may be about ready to start earning her keep. I wish you luck.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  7. galanie

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    LOL Yes, we coldly calculate getting them for a few eggs and before you know it, they have sneaked into our hearts.

8. tasha82

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    Quote:thanks i was just worried being late would be a problem,but shes happy and healthy ,very fiesty aswell.was adamant she was a boy told her she needs to prove me wrong haha,xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by