1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Just Because, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Just Because

Just Because Out Of The Brooder

My gorgeous Ancona has recently started moulting after her first laying season in which she laid a scrumptious white egg pretty much every day with the only notable exception being the day after she laid a 110g double yoker!!

I've noticed a couple of odd things about her recently though. Firstly, it seems as if her comb which is usually flopped over to one side has become more upright. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

This was on the 8th of February. ( I was playing around with some camera setting in case you are wondering why the grass looks so weird [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

This was earlier today and about a week and a bit into her moult. Not sure if it is just something bizarre or whether I should take note of it.Where I am is currently in the middle of the wet season too but so far it hasn't been that bad. But I keep checking my girl's legs to make sure they aren't clogged with mud or worse [​IMG]

Secondly, my Ancona has always had two little "spurs" on her legs and after I did some digging around and found it was no cause for concern. Today when I was cleaning her legs they looked a lot more pronounced. In this photo the one on the right leg is relatively obvious but the one on the left looks just like a slightly lighter coloured circle but it is actually the same length as the other.
    [​IMG]

Apart from these two baffling things she is still eating as normal, has well formed poo and is still alert and active if not a tiny bit leaner which is normal too for them during the wet.

If any of you lovely people have any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by