Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HickChick Wannabe, Jun 18, 2008.

1. HickChick Wannabe

HickChick Wannabe Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    Well, I am worried, but do I need to be? We just got our chicks yesterday and one has been sleepier than the rest from the start. She does eat and drink, but while the rest are all up and active, she's more likely to be napping. I'm watching for pasting and her eyes are clear. She seems healthy otherwise. Do I just name her "Sleepy" or is there something else going on here?? Is there anything I should be doing?

Thanks!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Give her a day or two. As long as she is eating and drinking and not being picked on, I wouldn't worry yet.

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I probably over-reacted, but when I had "sleepy" acting chicks, I put them in a little box with food and water, and then put the box back in the brooder with the others under the heat lamp. Most would get a nice, long sleep in and then be ready to join the others. But some ended up being sick - a couple I nursed back to health, but I lost 4 of my 27. At the very least, a little peace and quiet might help her rest up in her own little box for a day or so.

Just my 1 cent. Best of luck!

Penny

4. HickChick Wannabe

HickChick Wannabe Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    Thanks for the advice! So far, so good. As of this morning, all seemed well and she was acting more like the rest. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by