Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ni22, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ni22

ni22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    I have a 19 week old Buff Orp who laid her first egg about a week ago. She laid 2 good eggs and then on the third day she laid a soft shelled egg on the floor of the coop- for the rest of the week she laid no eggs. Today she was just standing in the nesting box for a long time so I lifted her out and checked her vent and there was what appeared to be egg white on her vent. I put her back in the box and checked on her again in about 15 minutes. Now there is egg yolk in the nesting box but no shell. She is still just standing there. Was this just an egg with no shell or could it have broken inside her? Should I be worried and what do I do? Until she went into the nesting box a couple hours ago she was acting normal.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Very normal for hens that are just starting to lay,to have unusual eggs. Here is a link to help understand.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/when-will-hen-begin-laying-eggs-what-to.html

3. ni22

ni22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks for the info- I understand that the eggs can be unusual at first but she still has not come out of the nesting box. She is still just standing there. Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by