SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    My almost 7 month old pet hen hasn't laid in 4 days. The longest she has ever gone is one day. She seems normal (eating, eliminating, energy level, etc.). Should I be concerned? Is there something I should do or look for?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    She could be moulting? She might be slowing down since winter is soon coming. I don't see any reason to worry, are chickens are doing the same thing.

3. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    I don't see any signs of molting unless she is just starting. I was wondering the same thing about winter coming (I live in Michigan). I only have 2 hens and this is my first autumn. How much do chickens slow down to on laying eggs (how many days between)?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Some of them stop completely when the length of days shorten...you can add a 40 watt light bulb controlled by a timer to come on early in the morning so they get 12-14 hours of light a day to keep them laying thru winter.

5. MidnightRooster

MidnightRooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2013
    USA
    There's no need to worry. I only got one egg yesterday and my hens are perfectly healthy. The reason is if chickens hadn't been domesticated a long time ago (I'm pretty sure) they'd be migrating right now and they don't really lay eggs as much while they migrate. Sorry if this is misleading information, but I know for sure you shouldn't be worried.

6. Fawn and Fam

Apr 2, 2013
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by