Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AshleyFishy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    I have five white rock hens and they have been laying for a few months now. Well I have one in the group that instead of laying one large egg, like the other hens, she lays two smaller eggs.

I figured it was just a fluke and she would adjust eventually. Well it just keeps getting worse... now two of the others are laying two LARGE eggs a day. And yes we are talking pretty much every day. Then the other day I got 9 eggs out of five hens!! So I think another one is starting this trend.

Should I worry? Are they going to be prone to problems because of this? Am I feeding them wrong and causing this?

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Hmmm...I'm thinking they will just get "spent" quicker. My MIL had a Red Sex Link that layed like that, she lasted the two years they had her with no problems :confused:

3. AshleyFishy

AshleyFishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    East Texas
    If it is just genetics should I breed these things? I still have four roos from their hatch...I was fattening them up for the freezer. Which both the roos and the hens have a fair bit of meat on them.

The hen that lays the two smaller eggs keeps trying to go broody on me too...

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I wouldn't breed for it, but that's just me. It seems kinda unnatural, like her body is just being pushed too hard to make eggs. I think there's got to be some wear and tear after laying twice the normal amount of eggs in a given time frame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by