Should I Become A Vet?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by serama hen, Jan 12, 2013.

1. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    I love animals and always loved learning about them since i was little. I want to help them and give any sad animal the love and care they need and help them find a home which would love them and care for them and visit my clinic if in case of an emergency. I want to be a vet but how. Im in highschool now and am in all regulars sadly i was suppose to go to a few honors but got confused with this and that but the princple wants to put me in here and that. But what subjects should i be focusing in the most i really want to be a good vet. Maybe for farm animals or in a city for small animals. Also i would like to know how to become one step by step i did research but it seems i cant find a good answer what should be my sat score to become a good vet? How much is salary yearly how hard is it to become one. My second choice would be a dentist but tha doesnt sound fun. Also my grade in Regular BIO was a 89 i know i could do better and will. PLEASE HELP![​IMG]

2. Qwerty303

Qwerty303 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Hey ! I know exactally where you are at. i am constantly debating and considering what i want to do for the rest of my life!! i have also considered being a vet.. and still am. i just know its a lot of schooling !! and a comment on becoming a dentist Dont do it if you wouldnt love it !! your goal for a career should be to make enough money to support the lifestyle of your choosing, But more importantly be able to love what you are doing, because you will be doing whatever it is you choose for A long Time !!! think about it lol. If its working with animals that you are after do your research there are tons of jobs out there where you can work and establish realationships with the animals you work with as opposed to a vet wich doeas ot really "establish" close realationships with animals. correct me if im wron, that is just what i heard. sorry i couldnt be more helpfull haha. im in the same exact boat that you are in. let me know if u find anything out !! Junior ? seniour? im a junior btw

3. serama hen

serama hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Nothern New Jersey
    Im 2 years away from you going down not up I would love to hear other careers with helping animals but with a good salary over 60 to 70000. And anything with animals i love your cockatiel im getting a pied tomorrow.

4. Qwerty303

Qwerty303 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Thank you !! im getting him soon.he is a pearl. he is still being hand fed at the breeders ! i went to visit him! thats exiting!! lucky, tomarrow !!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've always heard don't go into vet because you love animals. go into it because you love medicine. I'd say be a vet tech or something like that first and see if you really like it. There are other things to do with animals for a living, or keep animals as your hobby, not your income.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    You won't get rich being a veterinarian but you'll the get experience of a lifetime and lots of stories for the grand kids. There are several different branches of veterinary medicine you can branch out into. Keep doing your research and see which branch is suitable for you. Some Doctors become teachers at veterinary colleges, some work on small animals, some work on large animals, some work on exotics, some specialize in domestic cats, and so forth. While you have to get good grades in the math and sciences, don't let poor grades get you down. You have time to improve your grades, and not all book smart people make the best veterinarian. A good veterinarian, above all else, must have good people skills. Not only do you have to like the animal, you have to like the person owning the animal. You'll have to get along with the professors who are teaching you and will have to ace your veterinary interviews to convince a college your are a good candidate for this type of career. Being able to understand and talk to people will get you far in any career you chose.

Later on if you don't decide you be a veterinarian, you will already have a good foundation to switch to another career. That's one thing about education: Knowledge will open many doors for you. And when the time is right you can decide which door to walk through.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    theoldchick gave you good advice. All I can add is check career opportunities before you start studying. I nearly went to uni myself, to study oseology/anthropology. But when I checked to see if there are any jobs I found lots of graduates who can't find even volunteering work in that field. I'm sure with vet work there will be plenty work for you, but check and see which fields have the biggest demand first. Just in case... And just for fun, see if you can find copies of James Herriot's books. He started working as a vet in England in the 30's and later wrote some fantastically funny books about his adventures. With you being interested in becoming a vet already I think you will enjoy those books a lot!

8. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    I should of been vet but I made bad choices in my life, A vet is a great person but not all vets are the same the most down part of a vet meaning heart breaking is putting a animal down I think this is the hardest in your emotions. The people who bring their animal to you and know it is the end of the animals life I don't know how you can not feel but there are many rewards to this to. You need to know algebra and to do fractions I was trying to get to be a vet tech I have a vast knowledge but I can't be in a operating room helping I don't know the tools and I don't know about the machines they use if I knew this I would be hired as a vet tech this you may want to look into also but a vet tech I think does things like feeding animals cleaning steralizing cages tending to hurt or wounded animals feeding small ones and much more.

I will say one thing if you go for a vet learn to treat ALL ANIMALS from the small MICE to the large HORSE to the exotic ( think) lizards, to zoo animals I can't find a doctor that knows about rabbits around here or chickens and depending on where you live or will live is what you should know for the animals that COULD come to see you. I have no doubt when you decide to be a vet that you will be very good and people will rave about how good you are.

short story

I went to this one vet in Gastonia in NC I had to put my English bulldog down she was almost blind (nope that is not why) and she had a bad case of dry eye here eyes were shut in the morning and I had to take warm water to open them I tried everything to get her better for a year of me cleaning here eyes but I decided it was no life the vet came in gave her something to calm her then the shot she was gone in 5 breaths but the doctor had us take her out as fast as we could I then had to put another dog down he was old a stopped eating I went to a vet that was new around her EAST LINCOLN and the lady gave me time to get ready for this she gave him a shot and he basically went to sleep not the shot to have his life end she left and came back after a few minutes passed and asked if I was ready yes she gave him the shot 7 breaths and he was gone she had a guy carry our dog out to the car I honestly think she felt for me she had no tears I am aware of but it was not a rush to have me out of the the building the other times it was a hurry like the building was on fire.

I now go to this vet hospital anytime I need something done no matter rabies shots or anything and I don't use any other vet BECAUSE OF THIS ONE TIME

I hope you can understand want I am saying here.

Rhayden

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    why settle for just good? set your goal to be the best vet out there!

If you know in your heart you want to be a vet, apply yourself in your current studies, bring up your GPA in everything.. math and english will also be very important, not just bio. You should then start researching vet colleges and find out what they require for their programs. Don't wait till after you graduate to find out what they want for GPA. cause then it's too late. MSU in Michigan has a great vet school and strong agricultural school, animal husbandry etc... there are many fields you could investigate.

10. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    wow, never been on one thread and have my post pop up on another... anyone else have that happen?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by