Should I bite the bullet? CRD..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyle142, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kyle142

kyle142 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    So my flock has CRD, It's heart breaking but I'm seriously contemplating culling the flock and thinking in the long run I'll be better off...
    what do you think?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Personally I would. I don't think you are doing them any favors keeping them around. Plus they are a potential source to infect other people's flocks. The disease needs to be eliminated, not nurtured.

I'd talk to my county extension agent to get lined up with someone that really knows what they are doiong so I could eliminate it from my premisses and avoid reinfecting the next flock. Hopefully you have a positive diagnosis and are already talking to someone like that.

Have you figured out where it came from?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree with Ridge, but the decision is yours entirely. I wouldn't want to put myself into a corner of never being able to sell or rehome a bird or hatch new ones and I'd hate to think I would make a mistake and somehow, because I can't see the germs, accidentally infect someone else's flock by tracking the germs to the feed store, etc. Just learn all you can and make that position from a position of knowledge-not an easy thing to deal with and you have my sympathies.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I hate to say this, but I agree with the other posters that culling is a good idea.....Very sad though.......So sorry you're going through this. You can clear it up, and they'll seem fine, but then you'll be having to deal with it again down the road, and again.....Keeps coming back......

5. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    [​IMG] thank you guys I appreciate your opinions.

As for how I think I got it, Either through getting a couple new chickens 6+ months ago, Or.... a friend who seems to always have sick chickens that wears the same clothes (gum boots, jumpers etc) when dealing with her chooks and looking at mine.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I make everyone spray their shoes before they can come into the chicken vicinity with oxine in a spray bottle. Before we got Oxine, it was Clorox Anywhere spray. NO one comes near the birds without spraying their shoes. I'm betting your friend infected your birds that way. You have to be tough when it comes to protecting your flock.

7. kyle142

Apr 3, 2011
    GoldCoast
    Thx everyone there was doubt in my mind, It's done now and I feel that I've done the right thing by my birds and future birds
    I'm bombing the chook house tonight with zydox...

Thx again

8. ChickadeeMom

ChickadeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    i was sold sick chickens about a month ago and now my small 5 bird flock all has ms AND mg..... the state vet recomended depop and i've been tossing up the idea. i love my birds- specially 2 of the 5 but i dont want anyone else to get sick birds from me.... so im leaning towards culling...sound the best option??

Need advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by