Should I bother candling on day 2?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by seventreesfarm, Mar 10, 2013.

1. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I have a 41-egg capacity foam bator loaded with like 50+ eggs on Friday night. Since half are shipped, I assume a lot will be duds & quitters. I want to get the space freed up asap, but since it's only been 2 days, not sure if it's worth the effort to unload tham all. I also just got my new scale in the mail and want to weigh them for air cell development before they get too far along.

And....it's Sunday, so I have a bit more time to fuss with them than on a week night.

What do you think? Candle now or grit my teeth and wait?

2. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Never mind [​IMG]
    I peeked at 3 I could grab through the top window and there is no way it would be meaningful to candle tonight. Dark shells and not enough development to do a cull yet. Dang it!!!

So how about tips on doing the weight calculation starting in mid-cycle? I know they're supposed to lose like 12-13% total, but I I don't weigh them until more like day 5 or 7, should I guess at 10% weight loss?

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I wouldn't bother candling any eggs until at least 5 days, and at that point it is really just for fun and I would never get rid of any eggs. For white eggs you can tell alot earlier than brown ones. I have some buff orphington eggs that aren't that dark, but they tend to have shells that are really hard to see in and really thin veins, making even harder to see anything. I would wait until at least 7 days, or longer.

5. seventreesfarm

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    Thx for the dis-encouragement [​IMG] It's hard not to get in there and poke around.

I'm also hesitant to disrupt my delicate temperature balance. I have a foam-bator with fan & turner and it is so hard to get settled temp-wise. I know rooting through all those eggs for no good reason will throw things off for a bit.

Ok. I can do it. Hands off the eggs until this weekend [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by