Should I break her or Leave her?

chickencrazy999

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
England, UK
Hello, I have a broody white silkie bantam and she has been sitting one week tomorrow but I can not hatch until march and I do not know what to do I have been told that not to break her otherwise she may not go broody agape she may not be faithful or a good mother and I am quite confused I will be able to get some fertile eggs at the beginning of march so should I break her or just leave her until March she seems well enough and I make sure she eats and drinks everyday and that I bring her up some treats to nibble on but I do not know she is really determined and has pulled out her breast feathers.she really wants some babies! My other question is I have a very young rooster and he is only 9 weeks old when will he be able to breed ? And fertilise the eggs he is a white leghorn cockerel Thanks here's a pic of Muffin my broody silkie and Cheese my white leghorn cockerel

I'd break her. If you try to keep her broody until March, it's quite a stress on her body and you run the risk of her giving up before the eggs hatch. From what I understand, silkies go broody at the drop of a hat, so it shouldn't be a problem to get her going again.

Back
Top Bottom