Should I break her or Leave her?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Feb 13, 2014.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello, I have a broody white silkie bantam and she has been sitting one week tomorrow but I can not hatch until march and I do not know what to do I have been told that not to break her otherwise she may not go broody agape she may not be faithful or a good mother and I am quite confused I will be able to get some fertile eggs at the beginning of march so should I break her or just leave her until March she seems well enough and I make sure she eats and drinks everyday and that I bring her up some treats to nibble on but I do not know she is really determined and has pulled out her breast feathers.she really wants some babies! My other question is I have a very young rooster and he is only 9 weeks old when will he be able to breed ? And fertilise the eggs he is a white leghorn cockerel Thanks here's a pic of Muffin my broody silkie and Cheese my white leghorn cockerel [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Silkie's go broody all the time it is in their nature. They make the best momma's.

I have broken a lot of Silkie's from brooding and they go right back to it after they start laying again.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd break her. If you try to keep her broody until March, it's quite a stress on her body and you run the risk of her giving up before the eggs hatch. From what I understand, silkies go broody at the drop of a hat, so it shouldn't be a problem to get her going again.

4. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Ok thanks so how should I break her ?

5. What I do is I have a separate wire cage that I put them in with food and water, no nest in there and in about a week they are usually no longer broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by