Should I breed partridge chanteclers?

BlackBrookPoultry

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Western Wisconsin
I ordered some black orpingtons from Sandhill preservation center for a lavender project I am doing. They had to ship them in two separate shipments. So as free "warmers" I got exchequer leghorns, partridge rocks, partridge chanteclers and black dorkings. I sold the partridge rocks because they lay a brown egg and I will get them confused with my orp eggs. My intention was to keep any females of the white/cream egg layers and eat those eggs while incubating the orpingtons. The only roosters were to be lavender.
I've successfully gotten rid of the leghorn roosters. But I really like the dorkings so I was thinking of breeding them in a different coop (that I'd need to construct). I'm pretty sure I have a pair of chanteclers and every time I mention them people go nuts. Should I keep them and find a way to breed them too? Is there even a market for the chicks? I personally think they look too much like a cornish and are kind of ugly, but I guess a hardy breed is pretty useful up here in northern WI.

Yeah I would say if you are able, then it would be great to keep any of those rare breeds like that if they are decent quality, just for preservation if nothing else, there may not be a huge market for them but if you just keep a small group of them and hopefully every now and then you would have someone looking for rare breeds like that and would buy some off of you.

How old are they and do you have any pics of them and the black Dorkings ?

They were hatched the first week in September, so they are about 2 months old.
60651_chantecler.jpg

I didn't catch a black dorking. I have 17 black young black chickens only 2 are dorkings. It's hard to find one. So I brought this one in. It's a dorking, but I'm not sure what the color would be considered. He crossed the blacks with other colors to get some genetic diversity. It's blurry but you can see the general body shape.
60651_dorking.jpg

Here's a picture of them together
60651_dorkingand.jpg

The other chantecler is colored a little different. Some feather are more black. They seem to have a different pattern to them. I'll post that one if I can catch him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom