Should I bring her in? Chicks due tomorrow

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Feb 3, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have a silkie hen sitting on 7 eggs due to hatch tomorrow (or Thursday if you count the first day the one after you put the eggs under the hen). The weather is supposed to drop down to 12 degrees tonight with a high of 29 tomorrow and then down to the single digits tomorrow night with highs in the low 30s. Wind chills are at zero or below. After that it warms up substantially.
    Should I move her nest and all into the house? The coop is uninsulated. She's nesting in several inches of shavings. So far it hasn't been a problem, but the chicks will be tiny and mostly uninsulated as well. [​IMG] I had a broody hatch some out in December and they've done fine. It will be colder tonight and tomorrow than it was when the last lot hatched.
    Should I move her in for the next couple of days or just let her give it a go as it is?

Thanks. I'm sure I'm being a neurotic nut over this...

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    have u tried setting a heat lamp up in your coop atleast where your broody and the eggs are?

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    There is no way to get electricity to the coop. [​IMG]

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well sinc eu said there is no blockage on the coop from drafts i would say do the right thing and bring her and the babies inside for now just try not to desturb here or the eggs to much, i am saying bring inside because these are silkies and silkies do not have as much feathering as regular chickens do and especially since the chicks will be on the smaller size too so i would say bring them in

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ya bring her in at night and put her in a dark room and keep the room shaded the next day

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Why leave the room shaded? Just wondering...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by