should I bring my bantams inside

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chookchik, Dec 28, 2012.

1. chookchik

chookchik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2012
    Hello,

How fragile are bantams? It's getting colder outside and my bantams are so much smaller than my production reds. Should I bring my smallest hen in the house? She's a tiny cochin silkie mix. I really don't want to loose her because I'm going to breed her in the spring (and I'd be sad - if anything happened to her). Should I bring her in on the coldest days? What have other people done with the smaller breeds?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As long as they have a dry, draft free house the bantams should be fine. Bringing them in and then putting them back out keeps them from adjusting to cold temps and is a stress upon them.

3. chookchik

chookchik Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2012
    There is a bit of a draft, I've done all I can to remedy it. Also I live in the very very wet west coast and the inside of the coop is a bit damp. There is nothing I can do about it because the rain hasn't stopped for seems like weeks. I let the chickens out in the day where they can find a dry spot under the eaves of my house where they dust bath and can stay drier then in their run - which is muddy. On really rainy days I have one hen that stays out in the rain and gets soaked. Sooooo, I was worried about my smallest hen who is a bantam. They roost near the heat lamp (which is only 100watts), I put the heat lamp in to try to dry out the coop a bit. BTW the coop is a converted plastic kids play house - it's raised because of the soaking wet ground. Wet is a real problem out here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by