Should I bring them in?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TubbyChicken, Dec 31, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    My chicks have been outside for close to a week...the temperatures have fluctuated with the high being close to 60 and low under 30. They're thriving and happy. We're leaving town this evening and I have someone coming to take care of my animals...the chicks will be checked on at least once or twice a day. My concern is that forecast is staying about 45 during the day and 28 at night...with the exception of tonight. It's supposed to get down to 17.

Should I bring them in for the duration of our trip? I hate to confine them in the smaller space for so many days after they've experienced the coops but I will if it will protect them. There are 7 of them to huddle together and I plan to (if we leave them in the coops) throw a tarp over the coops for slightly better insulation.

The help I have coming to check on the chicks won't be able to move all of them back to the coops once, (if) they come inside, so they'd be stuck in here for 4 days despite the milder temps.

What would you do?

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You didnt mention how old they are ?

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    How old are the chicks? If it were me i would bring them in just to be on the safe side. The Weather mans been known to be wrong from time to time

4. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    Sorry! They're 8 week old Salmon Faverolles and Buff Brahmas. The coop is filled with shavings and I have a box in the corner to offer more protection if they choose to huddle somewhere closer. My husband checked on the this morning (the current temp is 32) and they were walking around, pecking, scratching, eating and drinking.

I am leaning towards bringing them in, but I hate to keep them inside for so long when the space is so considerably smaller than what they are now adjusted to.

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have a heat lamp for them? I would keep them outside, but have a heat lamp for them.

Have a great trip! It is so hard to leave, isn't it? But once you are gone, you'll relax. [​IMG]

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think they will be fine also, The heat lamp is a good idea.

Do what YOU think is the best so you can have a good trip and not think about it the whole time !!

7. TubbyChicken

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    No heat lamp and no way to get one out there. [​IMG]

8. ametauss

ametauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Shepherdsville, KY
    I'd bring them in to be on the safe side..... A little cramped for 4 days is better than frozen for life....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by