Should I build a bantam coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AmandaMBG, Oct 6, 2016.

1. AmandaMBG

AmandaMBG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    So I have a bantam Roo and a bantam hen. They are in with my standard birds and get along with them fine. I've noticed lately the hen submits to my large black Austrolorp Roo though and he is so big his feet literally slide off her back. No injuries so far but I'm a little worried for her as he fills out. He is very big but still lean being a super slow grower and only around 6 months old. Should I build them a coop or do you all think it will work out okay?

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    They'd probably be happier not having to compete with the larger birds for space, feed, and pecking order. So I'd recommend a separate coop if you can. Also as you stated with the larger rooster attempting to breed with her its possible in the future she'll get hurt.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would definitely get them their own coop. I have a bantam flock and a large breed flock, everyone free ranges in the same area, but sometimes things get rough and the bantams fall back to their coop and run for safety. Your large rooster could potentially cause serious harm to your bantam hen. I always recommend keeping them separately due to the more gentle nature of bantams.

4. AmandaMBG

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    Ya I'm contemplating it. Hopefully nothing harmful happens before I have the time and funds to do it though. My rooster was actually raised mostly with them. The bantam Roo and him actually still roost next to each other. They are pals so I know it won't be an issue with them. I do have really high perches they can fly up on to get away from him when needed. For the most part tho the hen doesn't go far from him. They dust bathe together and are super close. That's the main reason I'm still tentative about doing it. That and the fact that a bantam coop would be smaller and they are so flighty and active they like the large space the bigger birds have.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You didn't mention their breed. I would definitely do some observing to see how much and often the big guy is mating her before making my final decision.

6. AmandaMBG

Apr 16, 2016
    Southern Utah
    [​IMG]
    The Roo is a Rosecomb and the hen is a black Dutch (definitely crossed with something tho). She is a little bigger than the Rooster.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are more agile than my frizzles cochins, or something like silkies. I would use your own judgment whether she can mostly handle herself in your flock. Maybe just adding more roosts or things she can slip under can help her stay ahead of the big rooster.

8. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I'm definitely not as smart about these things as most of y'all are, but wouldn't the female bantam be subjected to over mating if she and the male are separated into their own coop? OP stated she is submitting to the big rooster right now. If he gets to be too much for her, won't she simply run away? Assuming she has room to hide. That's what my bantam does when the big guys try to get to her.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It does depend on the rooster, sometimes bantams don't damage the feathers like big breeds, or breed as often, but you are correct, a separate coop would also mean a need for a few more hens, that's why I suggested observing a bit before deciding, especially since they are a more agile breed of bantams. Though more than likely if kept with the big flock both roosters will mate her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by