Should i buy backyard quails?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Oct 9, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Purpose for meat and egg consumption. Is it safe in health wise? How was your experience? Thanks.

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    Should i buy backyard quails? Most definitely!

Purpose for meat and egg consumption. Quail are great for both.

Is it safe in health wise? As long as you practice common sense in feeding and while cleaning and cooking, there will be no adverse effects. And, quail eggs are arguably healthier for you than chicken eggs.

How was your experience? Ours has been great. The family gets involved. Hatching and raising eggs are a joy on many levels.

Thanks. You're welcome.

3. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    People are sometimes concerned keeping quail outdoors on the earth, I keep quail in both an earthy aviary and indoors and I'm not worried about anything they might pick up and transfer.

Our neighbours and friends love it - the quail eggs are so novel and healthy, they really appreciate getting some and whenever it's hatching time I always get a bunch of guests stopping by to gush at them :p

My five year old godson has gotten to experience every stage of their life and care and my roommate wants to get a parrot now because she suddenly loves birds [​IMG]

I met a local "crazy quail lady" like me (not crazy at all! Just adores the birds :p) that I gave a pretty Tibetan roo to and she echoed how I feel, "why don't more people have quail?!!" Hehe! Not only for the meat and eggs but many would make better pets than hamsters or gineau pigs for kids in my opinion :)

4. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Thank you all!!!

5. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

They come in a lot of colors too. You may want to start with pharaoh as they are easy to tell the sex by 3 weeks old by their feather coloring but it's not necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by