Should I Buy Chicks Or Pullets?

Uncle Marc

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Poplar Grove Kentucky
We will be builiding our coop this fall and bringing home our chickens later. Now I am wondering if I should get the chicks earlier and raise them up, wait and get pullets to speed up our egg production schedule.

Which would you suggest?

I'd recommend getting the coop done before getting either chicks or pullets. Everything on my coop build took so much longer than I anticipated and I had to scramble at the end to get it pullet-worthy.
As for the chick vs. pullet question, I personally enjoy raising chicks and seeing them morph into pullets. You can see their colors coming out and their personalities emerging. So I'd vote for chicks but it's personal preference.
Good luck -

Quote:
I have second this!! My DH did not do the coop until chicks arrived, then he had to work double fast to get it ready!! I have gotten both, day old chicks first, then I got 6 week old pullets. I recommend getting the chicks, you see them develop both personalities and the feathering. But whichever you choose, you will have fun with your chickens. One downside to buying pullets, it takes longer to handle them......

Quote:
X4
big_smile.png

I'll kind of break from the current and say this...

When I finished my first coop, I had ordered some chicks, but they were on back order. Because of that, chicken math required that I purchase chicks from TSC and Atwoods, because a coop can't go unused for 2 months. Then, chicken math struck again and said a nesting box can't sit empty for 6-8 months, so I purchased a hen off of a friend.

I started getting an egg instantly, then the first batch of chicks started laying in August, and now the second batch is starting to lay, so I'm knee deep in eggs!

I say get some chicks AND some pullets!

i built my coup then got 2 hens for free but i just ordered some dominique chicks that arrive around nov 1 and i can't wait. While the seem like more work I think in the long run it would be easier if you have to handle them. Plus their cheaper good luck either way though.

I would decide how many birds your going to raise and triple the number (look up "CHICKEN MATH") and build your coop first if your really committing to getting and raising chickens. Decide where your going to build it. Which direction you will face it and work out all the coop issues first and as it is getting closer to being finished you can start thinking about what type or breed you want to consider and what is the purpose for the flock you are raising. Meat, pets or school project with your kids will be your considerations of the kind of birds to buy. Are you going to sell eggs, breed birds and sell them off. Are you in the city or the country. Most cities have city laws and ordinances that must be considered.

Fall time is the hardest time of the year to start up a new flock. You have weather issues and going in and out in the winter with the cold, rain and snow to constantly check on the new kids. In the spring time it is easy and the weather and sun and all the warmer months to bring up a young flock. It would give you plenty of learning time in the sun and better weather to learn about your new little girls and get a semblance of some order. You would have more control more hours and more pleasure in the nicer months to spend hours on end and visits in the cage with them to offer your love and hand treats and have them become part of the family and a wonderful learning experience. Good luck whatever you do you will have a ton of support here on the BYC. CYA around.

I seem to work better under pressure. I didn't start building my coop till after my chicks arrived last year. It seemed to work well for me, so repeated the same thing this year. But this year I ordered half as many chicks and decided to build a smaller coop. The speed at which chicks grow definitely speeds up my building.

Back
Top Bottom