Should I buy extra chick(s)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue_Myst, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm planning on getting three chicks this spring, but I was wondering, should I get an extra chick to compensate for gender mix-up (I only want hens) or mortality rate? The problem is, I already have three hens, and I don't know if I have enough room for four new chickens, if they all survive....my coop is only 6' 8' (or 10', can't remember which), and my run is only between 8' by 8' and 10' by 10'. I know the standard 4 sq. ft. rule, but they are usually cooped up for about a month or two in mid-winter because it gets so cold, so I want to make sure they have plenty of room. I'm really at a loss about this, any advice would be much appreciated [​IMG]

2. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    Yes, definetly get another chicken. If they all live, sell one, or butcher it.

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I am failing to see why you would be concerned on space...a 6x8 coop gives you 48 sq ft divide by 4 that is 12 so you should have plenty of space for 12 birds...get 25 birds and build another coop! [​IMG]

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    FYI - If you ask people on here if you should get more chickens, they're going to tell you yes everytime. lol We're all a bunch of chicken addicts.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:order 6-8 standard chicks or 8-10 bantam chicks.youneed more chicks, we are enablers. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd go ahead and make a full sized order, pick the ones you want to keep, and sell the rest! Might break even or if you are paying for a heat pack plus shipping with only three where even giving them away might be the same cost on your end.

7. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Yep! In July I bought 3..........welll now I have 12. Go ahead and get a whole bunch and let them grow up together. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Ok, I suppose I do worry a bit too much about having enough space...

Thanks for all the input! More chickens it is! [​IMG]

FYI - If you ask people on here if you should get more chickens, they're going to tell you yes everytime. lol We're all a bunch of chicken addicts.

Yes, ever since I found this forum I've had a huge urge to buy more chickens.....I think I've caught the bug [​IMG]

9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    addiction not a bug...very different things...bigs can be cured with medicine...addictions require more...lots more...like get an incubator [​IMG]

10. farmergal

farmergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG] the bit about the bator is TOO true....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by