Should I buy nest box liners?

lee3343

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2016
Eastern Shore of Maryland
I have had my five hens for 17 weeks now and they are getting that red flush everyone talks about before they begin laying. There are nesting box liners for sale out there. Does anyone use them or should I just use a mat of pine shavings that I already use in my coop? Thanks

Greetings from Kansas, lee3343, and :welcome. Happy you joined us. Depending on your set up and ability to dispose of old bedding, I prefer wheat straw or pine shaving. They will poop in the nests on occasion and it's easy for me to compost or mulch the used straw. Plus I think they like to customize their nest to their liking - raking around the straw the way they want it. Good luck to you! :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC! I also just use the pine shavings that are in the rest of the coop, redsoxs gave a great explanation. Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Thanks for your prompt replies. I was just afraid that the shavings wouldn't be enough cushion for the eggs. But it's just one less piece of chicken paraphernalia I need to worry about!

Back
Top Bottom