1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I buy this wine fridge?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Oct 7, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am trying to improve my hatch rates (from 60-70% to 80+%, hopefully), and several folks in my "improve my hatch rate" thread suggested storing eggs at 50 degrees. So I just checked out wine coolers on craigslist and came across this one:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/1406611911.html

It holds six wine bottles--I'm thinking it would hold way more than enough eggs to fill my little Hovabator (but then, I want to buy a 96-egg incubator from cbiblis when he's got one ready for me with the electronics jazzed up...). Is it worth whatever hatch rate improvement it might allow? And should I offer a lower price? And how much does it cost to run these? I assume *cooling* air usually costs more electricity than *heating* it, so its running cost will probably be more than my incubator. On the other hand, it probably won't run as much as the incubator does.

Any thoughts?

2. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    $35 - you can't go too wrong. I would buy it!!

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    If you decide you don't want it, buy it for me..good price [​IMG]

4. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Buy it I always offer less 30 bucks! [​IMG]

5. cbiblis

cbiblis Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    Murphy,NC
    prepair to buy a thermo. My wine cooler has a hysteresis of 10 degrees (28- 38 degrees) but thermos are cheap for cooling. A fridge\\freezer repair shop will have a thermo to fix that for 8 bucks. They are plug and play. I say buy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by