Should I call the ASPCA? Help, duckling knowledge would be helpful!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chikadeedoodah, May 3, 2009.

1. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Hi there,
    I just went into our Tractor Supply Shop to pick up some much needed supplies for my 6 ducklings, and 27 chicklets - they are so much fun.
    Much to my dismay I see that they are still having "chick days", but after Easter I guess folks have just lost interest.

I found a duckling that couldn't walk (splayed legs?) that was about 2 weeks old, a whole horse feeder worth of 2 week yellow ducks that looked like they had lost their feathers (my Roens didn't go bald before getting their feathers, is this what happens to the yellow ones?), and really dirty water for everyone. It was just a mess. I asked at the front what was wrong with their ducks and the cashier looked at me like she had no idea what I was talking about.... I want to do the right thing, but if ducklings are "supposed" to look this way then I don't want to waste ASPCA resources. I know mine SURE don't!

Let me know, please. I want to do the right thing. If any of you are in Leesburg, VA, that is where this TSC is...
    [​IMG]

(I posted previously about one chick that is getting pecked, and what a huge help everyone is, she is doing WONDERFUL (still in isolation with another chick, but growing beautifully)! GREAT FORUM!

2. eminator

eminator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Pomona, CA
    I think that if you are concerned, you should call Animal Control or the ASPCA and report it. They should come out and investigate, and can determine whether or not the animals are being properly cared for.

I had a friend who had the same issue with Rural King, and they got in trouble with the local Animal Control. She also called their corporate office and let them know what she thought.

I think you should report it, because if it raises a red flag in your mind, there's probably a good reason.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I concur - call the local ASPCA or responsible agency. Let them decide if these conditions are appropriate.

4. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    A great big hug to you for being concerned enough to want to do something about it. Many just complain about the conditions they see and don't bother getting involved. Absolutely call the ASPCA and let them make sure the duckies are being looked after.

5. CatAteBird

CatAteBird Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Yukon Oklahoma
    Well,

I came into the same situation as you did... It made me sick !!!

I went to a local feed store to get some horse feed and I never go to the back of the store and for some reason I did that day... I found 9 baby brown chinese geese in a horse trough covered from head to toe in sh___... It was the most disgusting thing I have seen in a long time...

I told the owner he better give me a deal on all of them or I was going to report him...

I brought them home and gave them a warm sugar bath and cleaned them up... now I am looking for homes for them...

I am glad there are people like us out there... and it makes me so mad what these stores do around easter...

just look at the before and after pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Good for you on the Geese! I wish I had the room for these little guys! The ducks weren't in water like that, but their skin looked very similar. I went ahead and contacted Animal Control last night. So sad. I live on the river, I wonder if I can call them and tell them I can foster them until they are old enough to hit the river or find homes. It is so sad, but there were SO many! Maybe 20, just heartbreaking! Unbelievable what happens to these babies after Easter and their cute little fluffy stage has passed, it is CRIMINAL! [​IMG]

7. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    I just emailed Animal Control and told them if they didn't have a place for these ducklings to heal I'd take them in. We could make it work if I sectioned off a piece of the coop until the ducks were healthy enough to be given homes or ran off to the river in our back yard. So so sad! CRIMINAL!

8. CatAteBird

CatAteBird Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Yukon Oklahoma
    [​IMG] That's our tub at home. We were washing the sh____ off... They were in a horse trough in about 5 inches of sh_____...

Good for you... follow up with animal control/rescue and make sure they do their job also...

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:I'd report him anyway. There's a good chance he'll just do it again.

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    I bought Cayugas from TSC and they didn't go bald when they started feathering.
    It was just a kind of slow thing like a chicken a little fuzz got replaced by feathers.

But no balding [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by