Should I candle

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I set my eggs on 6/7 at about 6:30pm and I don't even have a single pip yet. Do you think it would be Ok to candle one or two of the ones that were 100% for sure alive and kicking when I closed the bator up? I'm just starting to get that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It wouldn't hurt to candle them if today is day 22. You may be surprised to feel a pip before seeing one.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok I candled a couple lighter eggs and in one all I can see is the air cell this time of day and nothing else (but thought I heard a light tapping) That could have been household noises though. The other one looks like maybe it has pipped through the air cell???? The air cell is no longer a fixed shape and there is a "pointy" shadow and movement. It also looks kind of liquidy around the bird area though. Please tell me this is a good thing.
    Thanks for your help.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Maybe your temps and humidity have been off so give them a day or two yet...I've had chicks hatch out on day 25 before.....

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sit tight. We'll ride this storm with you. What you saw so far is good news!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    i just think its funny that with this hatch I have been so much more careful about temp and humidity control and the hatch I did at school had a lot of temp swings and no way to check humidity and they pipped on exactly day 21.

Sheesh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by