Should I Catch Them? ***update*** rescued one pekin!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigtrout, Aug 22, 2011.

1. bigtrout

bigtrout Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    Ok...in a local park near me...there are now all of a sudden three ducks...one male pekin...two brown hens...they have no owners...wont last thru a hard NW Pennsylvania winter...no house or protection from cats...eagles...etc(right along allegheny riverl). Should i catch them and give them a home.? They can live with my six pekins...two mallards...four campbells and three welshes.

One other question...male is a pekin drake...hens both look the same...big as or they are slightly bigger than my khaki hens...hey can fly better than khakis but not like wild mallards but suprised me for bigger ducks!...they are mallard color but a shade like dark campbells...have an eye stripe...but their back they have quite a bit of silvery white feathers....any ideas what they may be?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I know I'd be working out a strategy to get them to a safe place. Might want to have separate quarters for a while to make sure they aren't carrying anything contagious. But you're right - they're domestic, not wild, and need protection.

It may be as easy as offering peas in a carrier.

Could the hens be Rouens?

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    No idea on breed, sorry. I know most will say pics would help.
    Before catching, I would probably double check on ordinances in your area. God forbid if you are seen/caught catching/rescuing dumped domestic waterfowl. Maybe call your state fish and wildlife department or county extension to see if it is okay as I am assuming the park is government owned. I would hate for you to get in trouble for trying to do the right thing.
    Also, remember since you don't know these ducks, quarantine before putting in with your flock.

4. bigtrout

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    They look very rouen but can fly pretty well in short spurts...10 feet off ground...20 yard stretch...they are sleek like campbells but eye stripe and lots of silvery white feathers on their back in wing area.

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Sounds like dumped ducks to me. If they are a domestic breed I would say yes. Wild - no. Pekins are for sure domestic and unable to fly. Do you think the hens could be rouens? They have an eye stripe and are bigger than campbells. I have heard they can fly a bit. Don't ask me about getting more birds I am planning on getting some free ducks from craigslist soon.

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If you can post pictures, that would be great. That way we can help you determine if they're wild or not. All white ducks, for sure, are domestic. The others might be domestic mallards (Rouens). If they're domestic, then it shouldn't be much of a problem if you want to catch them. Talk to people at the park to make sure it's OK to try.

7. bigtrout

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    The hens are definditely domestic...not wild...i have mallards and know what other wild ducks look like....the park is a state owned boat launching area...maybe i should call the game commision and at least tell them i am catching domestic ducks
    H

8. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Quote:I would just to be sure. You could make it hypothetical. "What would happen if there were obviously domestic ducks in the park?" "Would it be okay for a citizen to try to catch said ducks?"
    Down here, I know that they allow "wildlife trappers" to remove "pest" or "invasive" species, even from state/county land. If it is similar you could contact a local trapper and let them know that you can rehome them.
    Also, if you have a local duck/wildlife rescue group you can contact them and tell them that you will take the birds. These are both dependent on your local and being "legal" in your waterfowl ownership. [​IMG] Hence the hypothetical recommendation.

9. bigtrout

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    Update...today i went with food...net...box...the works....caught and rescued the pekin drake...the two hens on close looks are pekin x mallards...quite a bit of white on them...but they fly pretty decent...

The hens escaped me after two hours of trying...first food...then just trying with the net...with their flight ability and nowhere to corner them they are still at large...i decided to educate everyone who asked what i was doing and everyone was sympathetic and wanted to see the ducks have a good home before the weather gets ugly and food supplies dwindle...some people even offered help.

Any ideas on a way to catch them...food didnt interest them in the least...they let u get within 10 feet then take flight for 50 yards and hide in bushes until u flush them out again...the net freaked them out...but without the net forget it...

Open to ideas on how to capture these hens...

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:When I wanted to rescue 3 ducks that got dumped in our mtn. river, I started with bringing them some cracked corn. putting it close to where they were hanging out, they got use to me coming to that place and would wait for me, but wouldn't get close. Then I put a dog x pen down at the river open on the side facing the water and started putti ng the corn in it, little by little closing it up, and sitting close by so they got use to me being there. well it took close to a month before one day I was able to close the side up when 2 were in. Brought them home, but someone killed the 3rd one before we were able to get it [​IMG] and we tried so hard too. I'd say it's going to take some time but hopefully with persistance you'll win them over. I tried catching the 3rd one with a big net only made it worse. But I did catch one of my muscovies with the net when she flew the coop so to speak. Can you go there at dusk and watch where they go and maybe catch them then? Good luck I hope you get them. Glad you got the pekin he was really vunerable to preds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by