Should I change the thermostat on my new Hovabator or wait?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherfriendlyinIowa52, Mar 5, 2012.

1. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    This is my first time incubating. Hovabator's info states thermostat is set at 101.5 and that this should not be changed unless (unless what I don't remember). I'm setting eggs at the end of the week and have been trying to stabilize at 99.5 degrees & 60% humidity as suggested knowledgeable breeders here. I've had my bator plugged in for over 2 days and right now built in thermostat (at top) reads 100.1, has never reached 100.5. My digital thermometer/hydrometer restin on my egg turner reads 97.8 degrees w/ 57% humidity. I'm happy with the humidity but I know 97.8 is too low (last night after adding warm water earlier this went up to 98.4 but still not high enough). Should I raise the hovabator's thermostat 1/2 degree or wait a while to see if the temp improves? Your help is appreciated.

2. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    First I would put another thermometer in alongside the digital and see if they read the same. My digital went whacky as soon as I went into lock down. It was driving me nuts! I had three thermometers all giving me different readings. I went with the two that were the closest. Hope it helps.

3. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Thank you. I kinda thought about running to town for a different brand. I suppose the temp will differ a little all over the bator too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by