Should i change to free range?

katherinerose14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Sorry for posting so much.! just really looking for help! I have 3 roosters, 4 hens and 2 ducks. Right now i have 1 rooster and 4 hens living together. The ducks just got moved due to them attacking my chickens(moving the ducks back soon,hopefully). My 2 other roosters are seperated due to them attacking me. I didnt know if maybe changing to free range would reduce the issues. Im also probably adding 2 more chickens to the mix as well. There is alot of land. But im terrifed they will run off. There is a fence but not chicken wire so they could get out. We live next to a higway also. The fence is far back away from the highway. but still. Im also worried about fox or hawk to get them too. Also there are 3 goats that walk around the land. So not sure. If i let them free range would it be safe and would it reduce conflict within my flock?

i ve done that be for they will stay in there own little groups so it did reduce fighting for me , but i too live next to a highway, a couple got hit trying to dig up worms in the ditch :( , but those 2 were a little weird my other chickens go about 10 yards to the road and when a car comes they run away .....

welcome-byc.gif

There are always mixed views when it comes to free range or chicken run. Yes you will increase the chances of something happening to them when you free range but they will be able to get out, run around, eat lots of bugs & be healthy animals. I know a lot of people that free range & i do as well most of the time. I have a coop & run but i let mine out several times a week. You might want to start later in the day at first - they want there coop as it starts to get dark. Give them an hour or 2 in the begining & see how comfortable you are with it. Mine seem to get along better when they get to roam. It might help your flock. Good luck

For one thing you have too many roosters and too few hens. The two attracking you should go to "freezer camp" . Even then one roo to 4 hens is just not enough. He will end up over breeding them. Free ranging is fraught with problems as you well know, predator attacks from land and sky, danger from the road etc.

Check out the coop/run section and predator proofing runs.

They also have lived in there little space for close to a year. Never ahve been allowed to range

i had mine in a coop and small run when i started but then i tried what BrendJ said and let them out about an hr be for dark, as soon as the sun went down all the chickens went to the coop, some on top of it but still came home

For one thing you have too many roosters and too few hens. The two attracking you should go to "freezer camp" . Even then one roo to 4 hens is just not enough. He will end up over breeding them. Free ranging is fraught with problems as you well know, predator attacks from land and sky, danger from the road etc.

Check out the coop/run section and predator proofing runs.
I 2nd the idea with the 2 roosters but i no little to nothing about owning roosters and ratio to hens as i just have 1 and just put him with the flock 3 days ago

I 2nd the idea with the 2 roosters but i no little to nothing about owning roosters and ratio to hens as i just have 1 and just put him with the flock 3 days ago

Agreed! Remove some roosters first. I love free ranging my chickens but also know the risks. I just try to strike a balance between the risks with the rewards.

Free ranging is great just as long as you are willing to accept losses due to predation. Why keep the two human aggressive roosters? If your ducks are drakes, they should not be allowed acces to your hens. Their breeding the hens may lead to prolapse and death of the hens. Welcome to BYC, and good luck working out your issues.

Back
Top Bottom