Should I choose male or female chicks?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zowieyellowflame, Jun 19, 2011.

1. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Hi there,
    I am getting 6 turkey chicks for the first time ever! They will be 2 weeks old when I get them. Apparently I get to choose if I want males or females if I get there early. Which do I want? I know that males grow faster, but they eat more food.
    Also, will the males fight each other? They will be slaughtered likely at 14 weeks.
    Will the meat be the same as females?
    Thanks

2. babylotzahenz

babylotzahenz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    lexington
    I'll let a turkey expert give you a real answer, but the males are MUCH bigger than the females in the Royal Palms and Nargansettes. I butchered some at about that age and there was a big difference. My males are much friendlier and do NOT fight much except during early spring when the females entice them to. The generally get along well if raised together. Unlike roosters, their fights are not quite as bad, they just seem to lock heads and go in circles, but not until they are mature. At 14 weeks, mine were very immature. Maybe you could choose half and half? What breed are they?

3. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    This time, I am just doing the big white ones. [​IMG]

4. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    They won't fight, well maybe just a little but it won't matter. The males will get a little bigger and eat a little more food, so a mix is nice so you can have different sized turkeys. How are they going to tell them apart at 2 weeks old?

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    You really can't sex a poult at 2 weeks and even at 14 weeks, a BBW will still be a little small to slaughter. With good genetics and feed, it will be 4-6 months to be ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by