Should I clean broody's eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Morgaine, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    One of the eggs our broody hen was sitting on broke and there is egg mess on some of her eggs. Should I clean them or leave them? How would I clean them if I need to? TIA.

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Try to wipe it off with a lightly moistened paper towel. Make sure it is not wet, just moist. If it is too wet, it can take off the egg's bloom, a coat of gloss that protects the egg from bacteria. If you still can't get it off, try adding a little bit of salt on the paper towel and scrub gently.
    Also, to prevent the loss of anymore eggs, I suggest that you separate her from the flock into her own box nest.

~Rio

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I personally would go at night and take a strong flash light
    and candle her eggs
    the ones with egg on outside see if they are full of a live chick
    how many days does she have to go
    the salt is not a good idea as it will envase the egg shell and make sores on the broody hen as she heats the eggs
    also if she gets upset with the salt on her she may leave the nest
    so go at night and candle the eggs
    you need to think of the hen as well as the eggs

have some one help you and as you candle the egg mark a large x with soft pencil on the egg candled

hopefully you will not disturb her

4. Morgaine

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    She is by heself in the dog crate. I'm not sure how she broke it. I cleaned up the mess. She is on'y on day 6 or 7 I think.

5. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    If the egg mess is still wet try a dry paper towel or clean cloth. I have aslo read about people that used sand to clean dried poo and dirt off their eggs. If the egg mess is dried on them you could try this. I agree salt is not a good idea. If the egg mess is not too bad just leave them alone.

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Quote:The salt will not do any harm to the egg. As long as the salt is wiped off after cleaning, she sould be fine. And also, if she didn't abandon the nest because an egg cracked, I'm positive she will not abandon it because of tiny pebbles of salt.

7. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I put warm water on them and gently rub off the crap or whatever with my finger. I have never had a problem and have good hatches right on. I do not scrub them by any means, but just enough to get it off..

8. Morgaine

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Well I ended up throwing the eggs in the woods. Another one broke and it smelled horrible and was all over the others. I cleaned the crate and the hen (pieces were stuck all over her breast) and I put 8 new eggs under her from yesterday.

Thank you so much for y'alls help. It's my first time having a broody and I'm not real sure what to do.

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hope you get better luck this time!

10. Morgaine

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks! I hope so too cause I think this is the only way DH is going to let me have more chicks, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by