Should I clean my new chicks' rears?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JaJoJu, Apr 27, 2011.

1. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    This is a question I never thought I would ask! I purchased four new chicks this past Tuesday....two black sex link chicks and two golden sex link chicks. One of them has quite a large amount of poop on her rear. Should I clean it off or just leave her alone? I am new to all of this and want to take the best care I can of my new pets!

Thanks in advance.

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    YES YES YES Clean i offf right away as soon as possible, if you don't she will get stopped up and could dieeee!!!!1 [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    clean them up a clogged buttt could kill it. put some warm water on it and pick it off when it gets loose. I then take my blow dryer on low warm and dry it.keep checking that one because I,ve noticed that the onces that get pasty butt will always get it.

4. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol, I second smokeykk's emphatic reply. Definitely clean those little butts. [​IMG]

5. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    ICallMyselfCherie' :

Lol, I second smokeykk's emphatic reply. Definitely clean those little butts. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ETA: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EATA (Edited again to add): That was to the OP not Cherie [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  6. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I will clean those little chick butts! LOL After cleaning the butts of three children, cleaning a chick butt shouldn't be too hard! LOL

7. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    To make it a bit easier on you, once you clean off the poo, take a q-tip and dip it in olive oil. GENTLY rub the olive oil around the vent and the feathers surrounding. This will prevent pasty Butt for a couple days . Are you giving them sugar in the water? This is a known cause for pasty Butt. You can drop a bit of sand in the brooder for them, this tends to help them pass a more solid movement.

If you can clean the kids, you're already a pro at chickens [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by