1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I clip my chickens wings?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by suburbansilkies, Jun 6, 2016.

1. suburbansilkies

suburbansilkies Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    England, UK
    I have a silkie and a frizzle. The ends of their wings are looking a bit bare when I got them so I was thinking of trimming them for aesthetic purposes? Is this worth doing, is it healthy, does it hurt them and how should I do if?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Because of Silkies and Frizzles feather mutations, some bareness of the primary and secondary feather's shafts is to be expected. It's normal and won't hurt them. I can't really see any reason to trim them... in my experience feather clipping tends to make them uglier, not prettier, and while these breeds don't exactly have a lot of flight capability in the first place, you'll be removing what little they do have. That said... I don't think it would actually hurt them to do it, it just seems rather pointless imo.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know about frizzles but, silkies barely fly, if you can call it that. However they can jump pretty high with or without clipping wings.

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

If you feel you want to trim them, you can. When the birds molt in the fall, the feathers will regrow back however. If I have a bird that looks a bit disheveled, I have trimmed off some to make them look a bit less ragged.

Enjoy your birds and welcome to our flock! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by