should I clip wings???

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
We live in a residential area in cypress, tx and I was curious if I should clip my chicken's wing feathers to prevent flying. I'm not sure how high they can fly, but I don't want them to fly up on the fence and go in our neighbors yard. (they would not appreciate that) Any ideas?

It depends on the breed as to how well they can fly. Of course, bantams fly better than standard breeds. If you do not want your chickens flying into the neighbors yard, then I would say to clip one wing. If you clip both wings, then they will still be able to fly.

Dorothy

its better to pluck wings then to cut. For one it looks better, for 2, by the time the feathers grow back they know they cant fly up that far and dont even try

Quote:
This wouldn't hurt them? I doubt that would feel very good. I don't want my hens to be afraid of me. I handle them alot and they are very comfortable with me. They even sleep in my lap! I don't want to ruin that...

Follow the link given to learn how and then DO it. You will be glad you did.
BTW you never pluck the feathers, you clip them with a scissors. And rest easy, it doesn't hurt them.

DO RIR's fly? ABsolutely. So do BO's and Rocks and other medium-large breeds.

That being said, it's also true that no chicken is a great flyer... Sparrows have them beat all lover. Most Gallinaceous birds fall short in this area.

But they can fluster and flap their way up into low branches well enough and easily onto a residential fence. Your gardening neighbors are not likely to relish seeing your berserking chickens in their carefully tended plots.

When major preds are not an issue, as with city chickens, clipping is highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom