should I clip wings???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindsayB, May 17, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We live in a residential area in cypress, tx and I was curious if I should clip my chicken's wing feathers to prevent flying. I'm not sure how high they can fly, but I don't want them to fly up on the fence and go in our neighbors yard. (they would not appreciate that) Any ideas?

2. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    Wow I never even thought about this. I want to know too. Better yet, do RIRs fly?

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    It depends on the breed as to how well they can fly. Of course, bantams fly better than standard breeds. If you do not want your chickens flying into the neighbors yard, then I would say to clip one wing. If you clip both wings, then they will still be able to fly.

Dorothy

4. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    some seem to do just fine flying even after you clip their wings though.

5. hobobrando

hobobrando Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Vermont
    Could someone show a diagram of how to clip wings. I am thinking about clipping my flock.

6. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    its better to pluck wings then to cut. For one it looks better, for 2, by the time the feathers grow back they know they cant fly up that far and dont even try

7. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:This wouldn't hurt them? I doubt that would feel very good. I don't want my hens to be afraid of me. I handle them alot and they are very comfortable with me. They even sleep in my lap! I don't want to ruin that...

8. Dewey101

Dewey101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    Elizabethtown,KY
    Some take it well, others dont, but it doesnt hurt them much if it does. Ive never had problems with it

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Follow the link given to learn how and then DO it. You will be glad you did.
    BTW you never pluck the feathers, you clip them with a scissors. And rest easy, it doesn't hurt them.

DO RIR's fly? ABsolutely. So do BO's and Rocks and other medium-large breeds.

That being said, it's also true that no chicken is a great flyer... Sparrows have them beat all lover. Most Gallinaceous birds fall short in this area.

But they can fluster and flap their way up into low branches well enough and easily onto a residential fence. Your gardening neighbors are not likely to relish seeing your berserking chickens in their carefully tended plots.

When major preds are not an issue, as with city chickens, clipping is highly recommended.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by